Michigan Reefers banner
735 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Frozn 
#1 ·
Was thinking of upgrading the lighting on my 24g Nano cube from stock to the 150w Coralife Clamp on halide.

Currently i have my lights on for about 8hours a day. My question is how long will i be able to leave on the halide if i was to buy one?

#3 ·
8-10 hours is a reasonable photoperiod.

If your question was more of a concern about heat buildup, I would presume that if you remove the lid from the aquarium, the heat wouldn't be too much of a problem - worst case, a clamp-on fan should be adequate. Alternatively, you could run a small chiller - while not inexpensive, it would help keep the evaporation loss down a little bit.

#4 ·
cool thank you. I was just wondering if i was going to have to lower my photoperiod from 8hrs witht he PC lighting. I like the 8hrs cuz its a good amount of time for me to view :D

Also, I assume when i do get the light i should start out with shorter photoperiods and work up to an 8hr sense it will be a stronger light?

#5 ·
What would be ideal is to start with the light as high above the tank as feasible and move it down to where you want it slowly, over a period of weeks.

Barring that, the next best method would be to use some sort of diffuser between the light and the tank - eggcrate is okay, translucent or coloured plastic would be better.

Reducing the photoperiod really doesn't reduce the intensity - that's the option you'd take if there's no way to acclimate the corals otherwise.

#7 ·
I have heard that you can go to the hardware store and get some screening material like the screen for windows. You can get that and layer it or cut it to fit the tank to help diffuse the light. Then you can remove layers as the tank inhabitants adjust. That way you can keep the photoperiod the same and just diffuse the light to reduce intensity. Raising the light also helps, but not always feasible unless your light is mounted above the tank and can be easily adusted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.