Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Fines are just as bad if you're busted hauling stuff from Canada back to the US....especially if it is Australian....more CITES issues with those animals. I miss the pre-9/11 days when the boarder was not much different that going to Ohio.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
We assume the worst, but it never said what species he had, it may have been just frags from a swap:eek:

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
I worked at a LFS a while back and we had customers from Canada all the time. I remember them saying that they couldn't take any stoneys back without permits.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
marinemommy said:
Correction: Bringing over ENDANGERED corals can get us in trouble. I have never been questioned about corals. Gotta take the ferry, guys!!
Mr. Dunn was fined $615 and ordered to forfeit all Stony Corals seized from him at the Windsor border crossing.
They can seize anything suspected as questionable for further research. I am no expert on Canadian law. I just wanted people to be aware. Also, as Wayne pointed out this goes for crossing into the USA also.

·
Registered
477 Posts
marinemommy said:
Correction: Bringing over ENDANGERED corals can get us in trouble. I have never been questioned about corals. Gotta take the ferry, guys!!
I go Bluewater Bridge. :D Never crossed with coral tho. Been back and forth a million times wouldn't want to give them any reason for giving me a hard time. I wonder what exactly he had. Sometimes what may be endangered in the wild is not uncommon in the pet trade.

-Scott

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've never had stonies. Don't really plan to either. I'm trying to look up the laws. I know I called the canada customs before about bringing fish over and that's not a problem at all. Now I can't find that page. I thought I'd give them a call tomorrow to see what they say about soft corals from home aquariums.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Why would you tell them you've got corals... just hide them in a bag, lol

Thats like when they ask you about fruits.... ofcourse you don't have fruits or guns!! lol

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
reefermike1 said:
i didnt think anyone over 21 still went there???
I used to have three factories in Ontario....down to just one now. I used to go over at least once a week.

I had a plant in Wallaceberg....and taking the fairy from Algonac was the way to go...if you've never done that, you should....it beats either bridge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts