Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking o get a small Valentini puffer for my 14 gal bio cube. I have a maroon clown in there now and plan on putting some Zoas in as well. I have been doing some reading and have read that they dont pick on soft corals. any experience? Also how aggressive are they?

Thanks for the Help!!

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
You won't be able to put much of anything in there with a maroon. They are SUPER aggressive - the older they get the more aggressive they get. Plus, in a 14 gallon, they have claimed the whole tank as their territory and will defend it from intruders. Maroons should really be introduced last. On a side note, your tank will be too small lomg term for it, so maybe you could find it a new home and get some more community type fish.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a maroon clown and a valentini puffer in a 30 gallon cube. I put my clown in first and did not have any problems with aggression with them. The two were not captive bread. I have not had any problems with the puffer messing with any of my corals but he does pick at snails every now and then.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I have to agree with the above statements. The maroon clown will get quite aggressive as it gets larger. Further, the valentini will likely chew on your corals. In a large tank this may not be too noticeable, but in the 14 gallon, he could do some real damage.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah I know my tank is twice the size that is why I let him know. I was just giving my experience that I have had so far is all. But I do think if they are introduced young enough and grow together they will then be comfortable with each other. At least that is what I have come across in the past. But yes I will agree that his tank is too small. But like I said just wanted to pass along what I can. But I would not even try to put them in a tank that small. I'm surprised that they do well in a small 30.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.