Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,i have had a few people ask me to post my tank project here and pics along the way,, so here we go plz ask any question you hae and give me iyo's thanks

this is going to be around 1600 gallons i think plus 190 gallon sump

here are a few pic as of now! i started his about 4 months ago but got hrt at work 3 months ago so it has sat for a few months

Attachments

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
What is the tank going t obe build out of? Lights? Skimmer? And all the specs you know. Would love to know as much as possible. Where do you live?

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
or you can just use the small icon that helps to post large pics.

The Johnos guide to posting pics in MR

Alright. The first step will be for you to find an image host.
I suggest Imageshack it's easy and don't need to register. But, you can and should if you would like to remove the images, or if you would like to keep them for other uses.
This is their loading page.
http://load.imageshack.us/

Once on the loading page you can pick whether you will be uploading a video, image, or url. But this guide is only about the images. So, click on the browse button and find the image on your computer. After you do that click "Host it!"

Once all of that is complete you will be given several different ways to receive your link. I usually just go to the very bottom of the page and click "direct link" once it is highlighted, copy the URL.

Go to where you would like to host the image and then select the insert image button.

That is what the button looks like in case you were wondering.

When that happens, some of you may have a blue message come up at the top of your screen that asks some silly question about allowing scripted pages. Either way go up and select "Temporally allow scripts" after that click on the insert image button again. This time a small window with http:// will show up. remove that and paste the URL, that you have received from the image host, into the space provided. Then press OK.

You will now see the URL in the writing area surrounded by "tags" there are many different tags but I am only blathering on about IMG tags. Now when you post your message you will have an image inserted into your post.

Remember if you want your images in certain areas of the post make sure that the curser... your pointer, "mouse thingy", or "little flashing line that is going up and down" is where you would like the image to be.

I posted this in another post.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tomasz said:
What is the tank going t obe build out of? Lights? Skimmer? And all the specs you know. Would love to know as much as possible. Where do you live?
the tank is 3 sided masonary and i built the front out of 2x8's as you can see in the pic. once i put the 1 and only piece of glass in(front viewing glass) i will then spray liquid rubber on floor and walls covering the glass 1 inch all around, lighting will be 4 mh and i got a guy working on igh output 8 foot strip lights 4 of them 2 bulbs per. i live in michigan :)

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
lol, I think he means where in michigan. I would have just looked up the zip code personally. :p

·
Registered
379 Posts
just curious what do you plan to have in your tank? just fish or corals as well? Also do you have another room next to your tank for all of your equipment such as protein skimmers, sumps, heaters and so on? I can only imagine the number of powerheads to move water around in a tank this size.
keep us updated

Brent

·
Registered
191 Posts
and when youa re done with that go get a job at some public aquarium, cause this is insane looking so far. i cant wait to see this project completed though ^.^ best of luck man.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yeah, that looks pretty sick (in a good way ;) ). What are the dimensions of the tank going to be? Seems like it would be a good size for sharks or rays...

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
WOW........... I thought, I had a problem.

Good luck with the build, if you need a hand, get with me.

More pictures.......please.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all the interest in this project!!!

the tank size is now going to be 11 long 5 ft deep and 31 inches tall
stock?? not sure yet but going to build and prepare for the best :)
and i do not have a nother room next to or behind it:( but what im going to do is build a bench set in front of the tank maybee that will hold every thing except skimmer or i will build a closet on left side in front of tank im realy not 100% sure yet but muli possibilitys i hope i answeared all the question so far if not just ask thanks

remember i have no plan just a vision

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
fishmantom said:
remember i have no plan just a vision
Please don't take this the wrong way, but if I was you I would replace your vision with a plan otherwise you are going to be in for major surprises and disappointments. When I builded my 500g I had vision and it took me 2 years to plan it out and build it. Did you take into consideration humidity, electrical loads, flow in the tank, skimmer size? Does are just the very basic things to look at that need to be in place at the start of a project like this. Also I think access to all areas in the tank is critical.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dont get me wrong i do sorta have a building plan i also have done constuction for 15 years now so this helps me out alittle now:)

also as far as humidity, electrical loads yeah i am good i am installing a basement window fan and i will also put in a dehumidifire also i have just installed 2 12 gage wire 20 amp breakes all it own brand new lines :) im build the bottom of my refuge right now so i will post pics in a few

thanks guys

·
Registered
52 Posts
"spray liquid rubber on floor and walls covering the glass 1 inch all around"

Just wondering where you got this idea from I have been reading about different ways to build tanks(NOT GLASS) and have not read this way yet....I like the idea BUT have you seen it done before OR have seen it done just wondering cause I like it and think I will steal it from you....IF YOU DONT MIND,LOL......

·
Registered
488 Posts
IMO...I would consider at least three more dedicated 20 amp circuits. Lights, circulation, topoff, mixing, heating, cooling...........some power hogs for a tank of that size.

good luck...........chuck

fishmantom said:
i have just installed 2 12 gage wire 20 amp breakes all it own brand new lines :)

thanks guys

1 - 20 of 76 Posts