Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any input on which is better vodka or sugar dosing? Does anybody recommend a certain vodka brand? I am new to this vodka/vinegar dosing so please give me some input. I debated on GFO but have passed on it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well, I think vodka dosing has more going for it than sugar.

Here is why;

1) Vodka dosing has been studied and reported on far more than sugar dosing

2) Vodka is far easier to measure and dose (IMO) 1ml/25g is easier to dose than 0.1tsp/25g

3) Vodka is already in liquid form, making it easier to dose

For these three reasons, if the choices were, vodka or sugar, I would suggest vodka.

However, if someone in your house has a drinking problem, or any problem with alchohol, then sugar is just one of many organic substances that can be dosed as an alternative.

A common method VSV (Vodka, Sugar, Vinegar) is said to achieve biodiversity in the bacteria that consume the bacteria. There haven't been significant long term studies (to my knowledge) that suggest only dosing one form of organic carbon creates a single dominant species of bacteria. However, there is reason to believe it may. Since we all know different creatures consume different energy sources in different ways, it should be safe to assume that different bacteria consume different organic carbons in different ways...

In a perfect world, or in a lab... we would dose far more diverse organic carbon sources to directly mimic the reef. But the fact is, the more we add, the harder it is to maintain a stable dose.

Imagine if you tried to balance your parameters using a combination of; Vodka, Sugar, Vinegar, bio pellets, and liquid biofuel (Brightwell product). What would your dosing regimen look like? How much of each would you dose? Would you alternate your doses daily, or weekly?

I think this is why people simply use the graduated vodka dosing. You start off with a very small amount, and then gradually work your dose up.

Here are two great sites to read;

Sugar Dosing

Vodka Dosing

I would be very interested in reading your results if you decide to go the sugar method. I personally have never ran just sugar. I assume it would have comparable results to vodka dosing, but I HATE making assumptions...

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
The major reason to avoid sugar is it's the least pure.

If you plan to dump stuff into your tank I'd suggest vinegar. Save the vodka to help you forget about what you have done to your tank with the carbon.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Thanks Jamey1010. I too may start to dose a variety of carbon source. Currently, I dose 5ml MB7 every morning. After ready several articles regarding Vinegar and Vodka dosing, I may incorporate them in over time in small doses to see if there is any added benefit to my system.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all. I have started to dose my tank with vin!egar and hope to see some great results. Keep you all posted. Jesse, keep me posted with your results. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Thank you all. I have started to dose my tank with vin!egar and hope to see some great results. Keep you all posted. Jesse, keep me posted with your results. Thanks again.
I have been dosing the MB7 off and on for a couple years now. Everyday for the past 4 months. I amy introduce the addition of vinegar and or vodka. still debating. But, I will post a thread if I do. I would like to post a thread of my tank anyway with some pics so I may do it in there if I decide to go this route.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts