Michigan Reefers banner
971 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  weimers75 
#1 ·
I currently have a Green Mandarin, two clowns, and 2 cleaner shrimp. I would like to get another fish. I have a 40 gallon long show tank with a 10 gallon sump. Any ideas on a reef safe fish that isn't a bully? I have heard that a bangia cardinal fish would be good from the LFS but i think i am looking for something more. i know i don't have much room to work with my 40 gallon long tank but any ideas would help, thanks!

#2 ·
To name a few most bassletts, cardinals and fire fish are very docile and make good tank mates.

I would prefer the Gold Assessor Basslet but they are harder to come by but royal gammas are common and can be just as cool. S

Any cardinal would be good but keep in mind they are nocturnal so find them boring as they just sit there all day in one spot.

Purple or Helfrichi firefish adds a nice splash of color.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Gold Assessor Basslet

#3 ·
thanks

thanks i think those are all good suggestions, i find the bangia cardinal to be kind of boring too that is why i finally posted on here for help. I really like the Helfrichi firefish and the royal gramma. do you think it would be an ok idea to get a couple so they stick together?

#4 ·
the cardinal is a very well behaved fish, mine has been in my tank for some time. him and my clown get along great as the both host the giant kenya tree. bangai cardinals love longspine urchins although urchins require a lot of feeding grounds as they are big time grazers.

you may try a wrasse of some sort, there are a lot to choose from, but you will need a lid as they are jumpers, also some require multiple feedings a day. also some require larger tanks than yours.

#5 ·
thanks

the cardinal is a very well behaved fish, mine has been in my tank for some time. him and my clown get along great as the both host the giant kenya tree. bangai cardinals love longspine urchins although urchins require a lot of feeding grounds as they are big time grazers.

you may try a wrasse of some sort, there are a lot to choose from, but you will need a lid as they are jumpers, also some require multiple feedings a day. also some require larger tanks than yours.
Lol, it sounds like a lot of things are leading to the cardinal fish. they are a really cool shape but there isn't much color. i was looking for a fish with some color. the wrasse will probably be in my tank when the boss allows me to upgrade lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.