Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spend 15 - 20 minutes a day looking at my tank. I have a 75 display with a 30 long sump. I TRY to do 10 gallon water changes every Sunday. Well sometimes I am unable to do to such a hectic life. I would like to know if it would be bad or less effective if I could do a 2 gallon water change 5 times a week?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i don't want to venture into all that yet.....i want to get everythign I have working fairly well before i spend money on something else i am unsure about

·
Registered
672 Posts
I spend 15 - 20 minutes a day looking at my tank. I have a 75 display with a 30 long sump. I TRY to do 10 gallon water changes every Sunday. Well sometimes I am unable to do to such a hectic life. I would like to know if it would be bad or less effective if I could do a 2 gallon water change 5 times a week?
this is what a lot of people do with nano systems they have no real filtration to speak of so doing water changes help keep the levels in check.

·
Registered
725 Posts
You can certainly try that and see how it goes, doing more often smaller changes just has less affect on removing excess nitrates and phosphates compared to one larger change.

But 2 gallons five times a week is almost like a continuess water change system some people use with great success.

Fresh saltwater mix only stays like real seawater for a week in our tanks no matter what salt mix we use.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Bio pellets seems to be the best way to go and will save you lots of time and money in the long run. As for water changes, it would be better to do one 10% a week than 2 gallons a day. How long has your system been running? What is your bio load like? You may be able to get away with 1 20% every 2 weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts