Michigan Reefers banner
2K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  DLBerlin 
#1 ·
woohoo im down to 193 lbs (from 210). only 43 more to go. Well ok I started riding my bike again. I still eat whatever the heck I want but I did give up a few things because I really dont need the stuff and it doesnt bother me to be without it. I stopped drinking pop and started drinking more water and gaterade n stuff thats good for you. I also stopped having a bowl of ice cream when I got home from work (I usually get home just before 11pm). Trust me I still eat junk food but it has now become a once in a great while thing. Still havent drank pop in 4 weeks (thats how long ago I started riding my bike). I did notice jumping on the trampoline helps you lose weight too but not as quickly as riding your bike :D . Oh and when I ride my bike I put my youngest son (oldest never wants to go) in the car buggy and pull him around town wherever I go. He loves watching the cars go buy and the scenery. I have been riding about 7-8 miles on my bike. depends on where I go and where I feel like going. Whats funny is even though I only lost 17lbs I cant fit into my shorts anymore. They like fall down half way down my arse. Now I have to go spend $$$ on some smaller pants but I know by time I am done ill be back down to 32's again (currently im at 36's). the thing is when I was in 32's in high school people looked at me and would say "You dont weigh that much you look more like you weigh 100lbs". well back then I had 4% body fat and weight 130lbs (had to work to get that low too as that is what weight I wrestled. Usually I would come in the beginning of the week at 135 and have to lose 3 lbs in one day which really wasnt that hard). Sorry for the long post. Just thought I would point out that I am losing weight by not dieting. Although I still dont eat healthy. Pretty hard to get myself to eat those darn veggies.

See less See more
#3 ·
Congrats ofblong! My hubby is doing the bike riding thing too, about 5 miles in the morning just before work, almost daily.

Keep up the good work.

Deb: starvation doesn't do it. It only tells your metabolism to shut down even more and CONSERVE energy because the body thinks it's going into famine times. And it also makes you feel miserable to be starving all the time. Which makes you think of food even more. It's a nasty cycle.

One of the contributing factors will be to get the metabolism going again. How about a recumbent exercise bike for the home? They can be had for very reasonable if used.

#4 ·
Nah-starvation works for me.
My metabolism drops sometimes but it picks back up in a day or two. Cant do bikes or steppers-bad knees. Cant do anything with arms/shoulders- too long to explain. I got a Gazelle if you know what that is but its pretty boring! Its easier for me to cut back on calories. I spent 4 hrs just pulling weeds at my moms yesterday and my necks been killing me all day-gonna take alot of stretching and atleast a week to recover from that one.

#5 ·
How about yoga or pilates then? Those are not intensive, beat-up-your-joints kind of workouts.

As you know, I am pregnant and in my 29th week now, so exercising has become an increasing challenge for me. I am looking into getting an elliptical trainer for the no-impact aspect.

#6 ·
I have a bunch of stretches I have to do to keep things moving, Learned alot from PT, thats enough for me. I'm "normal" as long as I dont do too much. Not a typical situation-like I said long story.
But I turned 40 in May and I'm a size 5 so I'm happy with that!

#7 ·
size 5 holy cow. I think im gonna skip the exercise today and just stretch for 5 minutes( keeps you stretched). wish I was a size 5 hehe. oh wait that would make me my sons size haha.

#9 ·
The wife and I started weight Watchers about 3 weeks ago. I have lost about 6-7lbs (not actually "counting points") and she has lost maybe 10lbs? I have 17lbs more to go. We dont excersize, or eat as many veggies as we should, but just eating better and cutting out the crap (candy bars, chips, ice cream and snacking) has made a difference!

#10 ·
It's really a simple equation....Calories IN greater than Calories OUT, you gain weight and vice versa. Skylergirl is absolutely right about the starvation, though. Your body shuts down thinking it is in famine times. Even moderate excercise (think walking) can have a tremendous impact on both weight loss and metabolism. Exercise drives up metabolism, but studies have shown that within an hour or so, it has returned to it's pre-exercise rate. A couple other things to consider if you wish to drive up your RESTING metabolism: First, muscle requires more energy to maintain, therefore as muscle mass increases, so does your resting metabolism. Second, 5 to 6 small meals a day, spaced about three or so hours apart also helps to increase your resting metabolism. It basically does the opposite of starvation. It causes to body to NOT slow metabolism since it knows it can use as much energy as it likes because a fresh supply will be avaiable in a few short hours. One last thing to consider is fat intake. The body requires a certain amount to function properly. Body fat surrounds and protects your internal organs. However, you fat intake should be early in the day, and taper off towards evening. Same with the simple carbs. If you want a late night snack, stick to protein and complex carbs. I've found that a diet consisting of 60% carbs (mostly complex), 20 - 25% protein and 15 -20% fat is a good balance. Percentages should be based on calories. Fat has approx. 9 calories per gram while carbs and protein are approx. 4 calories per gram.

#11 ·
Before I was married I was always 175lb and under 5% body fat. Now, 3 years after being married I am 203 ... it sucks. I gained more weight than my wife did during the first 6 months of our pregnancy! I used to have a washboard tum tum and had a vertical leap just under 40 inches. Now I've developed the amazing ability to jump without leaving the ground ... it's pathetic.

Ofblong, you want to get down to 150? How tall are you? If you get down to there my wife will be able to kick your arse easily :) (she's 5' 11" and is usually 155 ... she has a little more wieght to lose because of the baby though). She's also ripped because she spots people in gymnastics so her lats are fantastic.

#13 ·
Sylock said:
Before I was married I was always 175lb and under 5% body fat. Now, 3 years after being married I am 203 ... it sucks. I gained more weight than my wife did during the first 6 months of our pregnancy! I used to have a washboard tum tum and had a vertical leap just under 40 inches. Now I've developed the amazing ability to jump without leaving the ground ... it's pathetic.

Ofblong, you want to get down to 150? How tall are you? If you get down to there my wife will be able to kick your arse easily :) (she's 5' 11" and is usually 155 ... she has a little more wieght to lose because of the baby though). She's also ripped because she spots people in gymnastics so her lats are fantastic.
I am 5' 8" tall. 150 will put me where I graduated at. like I said when I weighed 130 it was very hard for me to get there and I had almost no fat on me when I did. I figure 150 will be a good weight. I am a stocky person more than I am a lean person. when I was younger it was the exact opposite. besides if I get down to 150 it will make the women want my but even mroe than they do now haha.

#16 ·
I have to chime in that the guys somewhat have it luckier than us gals who get pregnant and gain lots of weight.

Before the pregnancy, I was the same weight, about 105-108 for nearly 17 years! Never had to exercise and ate what I wanted, when I wanted. I just knew that if I had something evil to eat today, I would be better about it tomorrow and the calories all seemed to work out by themselves.

I am now in month 7 of the pregnancy and have gained a whopping 35 pounds. In the beginning, I let loose and ate everything that wasn't nailed down and of course, all the BAD junk foods (daily Dairy Queen & fast food cravings). Everybody kept telling me, "it's ok, you're eating for two". That's a load of crap because all the books say you only need an extra 300 calories a day and I was probably eating like 500-1000 extra a day! :(

So now I feel like a beached whale much of the time. Mobility has become something of a challange. The backpain is the worse. I've actually had to buy a cane to help myself get out of bed at times. :( My body just isn't used to carrying around that kind of weight!

But I am eating MUCH better now. Better late than never. And I do try to exercise by walking, riding a recumbent stationary bicycle or weights on a cabled machine.

By the time I'm done delivering, my guess is that I'll have gained about 50 pounds in total. That is almost 50% of my pre-pregnancy weight.

Luckily, I am hoping that it is not in my genes to be fat and that I'll be able to fit back into some of my old clothes by mid next year or so. ;)

Would male seahorses complain about getting fat? :D

#17 ·
Skyler, hope things get better. My wife is due with #4 on Oct 24 so she is deffinately in the "Pillow Stage" For those who have never had a pregnant wife, this is when they sleep with about 10 pillows around them and you are left with 10" on the edge of the bed. 1 between the legs, 1 under the belly, 2 behind the back.....you get the picture. What a "joy" pregnancy is.

#19 ·
my wife was sick through all 3 of our childrens pregnancy. she has lost20lbs per child rather than gain. She eats alot but she just pukes it back up. she eats small meals also. doctors havent said its bad or anything as all of our children have been almost and over 9lbs.

#20 ·
Skylergirl, you'll be just fine. Try to not worry excessivley about the weight gain. I gained almost 80 pounds with my pregnancy, and peeled it all right back off (with lots of determination), without stretchmarks even! I found that 9 months on, 9 months off held pretty true in my case. Yes, almost 80 pounds, you read that correctly. I was a cow, or should I say a whale. A 5'11" whale. LOL Lucky for me I'm tall and quite large framed so I carried the extra weight easier than someone tiny could. So just be very happy if your total stays at or around 50. :)

I really envy you size 5 people....now thats a number I'll never see....and I try sooooo hard.

#22 ·
My wife gained quite a bit to (5' 11"). But she threw up once a day except for two days from week 8 on. I gained 30 lbs :) ... I guess I was feeling supportive. I would cook her something, we'd eat, she'd throw up, I'd cook something else (or buy it), _WE'D_ eat again, she'd throw up, rinse and repeat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.