Michigan Reefers banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
curious as to who uses what... i've been using something called "meat and more" from sams club... it supposedly has no fillers or preservatives and is CHEAP!! but seems to make the dogs more gassy then Nutro did.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
i use

Eukanuba, but i think im going to switch to: Eagle Pack because its only a little more $, but a lot better for the dog! there are a lot of "tricks" companys use to make you think that you're buying quality food and your not so be carful!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Purina One, is the best of the 'cheaper' stuff. I seen a test a from a few yrs ago and it was #3 or 4, and after that the quality dropped fast. And anything above them was getting expensive fast.

So thats what we always use and we can get it at a normal store, like Kroger.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Eukanuba. When I first got my Rott, she was already eating Eukanuba. I feed this for a while, but it was pricey. At the time, I didn't buy into the idea that one food was that much better than another. Kind of the "dog food is dog food" mentality. Long story short, I ran out one weekend and the GF at the time bought a 10# bag of Purina. I feed this until it was gone. It that brief period of time, I noticed a considerable dulling of her coat. Within a couple of weeks of switching back to Eukanuba, her coat was back to it's original luster.

·
Registered
309 Posts
my mutt gets dog chow and i think the g/f is switching my german shepard to canida she was on diamond pro but guess that food has too many recals

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
4 my labs

they get the pro plan! talked to several breeders that is what they recomend

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ok....now here is an area that I feel I can have as much knowledge as those masters of reefing... I race sled dogs (very demanding food quality wise) and currently have 18 dogs (including some just plain house dogs). I have feed many different foods over the years ranging from super cheap to super expensive special ordered food. The best food I have found so far is the Purina One. It's what I currently feed and I can burn through 80 lbs of dog food in a week.... I would recommend the food to anyone....works great for my sled dogs and also works great for the plain house dogs. What are the first three ingredients in the dog food you feed? Those 3 are the most important!!!

EDIT- I also stay away from basically any food that has wheat gluten in it at all because that was the ingredient involved in all the recalls.

·
Registered
444 Posts
MushingJeeper said:
What are the first three ingredients in the dog food you feed? Those 3 are the most important!!!
these are the first few ingredinets in my pro plan small breed formula
chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal,poultry by prodouct meal, whole grain corn, animal fat preserved with mixed tocopherols,corn bran, fish meal

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have been breeding, raising and showing Boxers for the past 25+ years.
If you follow these basic rules, you should get a pretty good dog food.

1. First ingredient should be some sort of dead animal. Beef, Lamb, Chicken, etc (not a by-product)
2. Make sure that there is no soy products in the dog food. No soy meal, no soy grit, no soy anything.
3. Corn (of any type) should be no higher on the list than 4th and preferably no corn at all.
4. No food coloring.
5. No ethoxyquin (usually used as a preservative for meat)

winland

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I use the PetsMart house brand, Authority for my german shepard mix. She picked it out herself, and I have been very happy with it. She has a BEAUTIFUL coat, shiny and SUPER SOFT. She has been on lamb and rice formula since day one.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
winland said:
I have been breeding, raising and showing Boxers for the past 25+ years.
If you follow these basic rules, you should get a pretty good dog food.

1. First ingredient should be some sort of dead animal. Beef, Lamb, Chicken, etc (not a by-product)
2. Make sure that there is no soy products in the dog food. No soy meal, no soy grit, no soy anything.
3. Corn (of any type) should be no higher on the list than 4th and preferably no corn at all.
4. No food coloring.
5. No ethoxyquin (usually used as a preservative for meat)

winland
Great info! I'll have to go and check.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts