Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to buy a ro/do unit whats a good brand and how many stage shoud i get 4 or 5 thans i like to order one to day i see spectra has a sale going on are thay any good
thaks joe

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi, I have an Aqua FX Barracuda and love it, I have also had the Air Water Ice Typhoon III and a Water General and liked those.

Worry less about brand, but try to get a pressure valve, it will be handy and let you know what your pressure is, where I live I have 85 lbs and that is fantastic, past place was 60 lbs and I have been in a place with only 45 to 50 lbs. The general max is 80 lbs of pressure and the higher it is the more water you get faster. I also have the dual in/out TDS meter and feel those are essential for when DI resin is getting used up. As an example I normally have from 115 to 135 ppm on the incoming and 0 or 1 on the outside in parts per million, my DI is getting used up and it is now reading 5 ppm, so filter change for all canisters is coming up this next month.

Hi, I saw the sale for the unit you are looking at and for $120 it is a great price, you may want to have them add the Hanna dual TDS, its $30.

·
Administrator
2,510 Posts
Brs

Get in and get the Bulk reef 5 stage. I have been doing > 30 gallon wather changes a week and use it for ATO for 3 tanks direct with 2 kalk stirers for a year and a half. Had to replace the ro/di resin once and I am still between 0-2 TDs. They also have great tech support.

·
Registered
725 Posts
jmn111080;941670 i see spectra has a sale going on are thay any good thaks joe [/QUOTE said:
Spectrapure are Excellent and top of the line in quality.

By the way they have new Super DI resin and for use who have water that tears that stuff up quickly it looks to be a promising new product.

And how long your filters are going to last depends on your source water, I've used all the BRS stuff and get better results with Spectrapure products, there micron sizes are smaller and they got better di resin blends. I know this because I see better tds numbers for a lot longer. With source water 700+ tds I spent all most as much time figuring it out as I have my tank chemistry....

·
Registered
488 Posts
BRS 5-stage plus, it appears to be identical to the spectrapure but got mine for $200 during last group buy but think they are still on "SALE" for that amount, has dual tds meters....and 0.00 ppm is a beautiful thing to see

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what prices your seeing and how many stage unit your looking at. I have well water so carbon isn't as important and even though I have a 6 stage unit I only need to use 1 sediment filter, 1 carbon block (2 if you have city water) the membrane itself and than the di resin (I use a full size refillable cartridge) so maybe that will give you an idea what you need and if BRS is 70 dollars cheaper I would go that route and than just plan to check out Spectrapure in a few months when you need replacement cartridges, but I do see some smaller stage units for a lot less on Spectrapures website but remember you will need to have a di resin stage to get to 0. But if you have good source water you will be pretty close without it, even with my 700+ water I see 11 out of the membrane (sprectrapure "tested" 90 gpd) but still it's hard on the di resin and I have to change it out pretty often once I get to about 3 tds around every 200 gallons or so....

·
Registered
535 Posts
purewaterclub.com the only site you need to know.

I have had my unit for almost 3 years and have NEVER had a single issue with it. I choose to purchase filters from BRS. No need to over pay for the same plastic housings, fittings and houses that everyone uses. Even at that the "un-named" filters that came with the unit lasted for one and a half years.

nuff said

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have had a BRS 5 stage for a little while now, I like it but prefer the Spectapure cartridges. I have horrible water, +1100ppm on the incoming. With Spectrapure refills I can go almost 50% longer before replacing the filters. I cannot say anything about the resins yet as I have yet to need to replace it.

I use both the dual inline tds meter and a pressure valve. Though I rarely measure my incoming water, usually only to show neighbors how horrible the water actually is. I measure the water after it leaves the three filters and the membrane, before and after the DI. I was told this is the best way to detect when your filters need to be replaced. With new filters I have about 3ppm leaving the membrane, and 0ppm after the DI. When it starts to creep up to 4 or 5ppm after the membrane I replace the three filters. If I ever get 2ppm after the DI, I will replace the DI.

I usually try to measure the rejection rate, to determine if the membrane needs to be replaced, but as of yet I have not replaced it yet.

I don't know if this is the proper way of doing it, only what I was told and what works for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.