Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 24g Nanocube "Next Generation" LED nano, i am used to MH's with no real knowledge of anything LED. Powered by 13 CREE LED's, 1.3W 8 blue, 5 white. Am i limited to softies/LPS or are clams/sps possible without any modification to the lighting. Not just monti's, pocci, digi's, etc. but the more light demanding sps.

·
Registered
181 Posts
250 will keep most sps it will not be great colored and it will probably lack growth 80 is really low light lps and soft corals not much else

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have used cree led's before with mixed results. My growth was excellent however the color was just ok but nothing special. The problem you are going to have is you should have close to double that amount of led's for that size tank if you want to keep sps. I ran 12 3w cree over a 12 gallon nanocube.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have used cree led's before with mixed results. My growth was excellent however the color was just ok but nothing special. The problem you are going to have is you should have close to double that amount of led's for that size tank if you want to keep sps. I ran 12 3w cree over a 12 gallon nanocube.
Cree LED's are by far the best LED's for coral growth, that being said if you are making your own mix you need to do a lot of research into color mix, if you want very good color a high mix of red's, blues and purples is best, in fact I have read where people are using 3-1 blues to whites for color, this however does not get you great growth. Also DO NOT USE 20k LED's 20k LED's are blue LED's that have been chemically altered you need to use 6500k-10000k. blues need to be between 540nm and 570nm purple uv light is between 400nm and 100 reds should be around 640. These are the wavelengths that produce High amounts PAR (photosynthetic active radiation) at more than 10m deep in the ocean. If you are looking to make your lights dimmable get 5w with multiple channels these allow you to make them 3w LEDs or 1w LED's. because if you dim a led it changes the wavelength by a small amount.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts