Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is entering it's 3rd week of cycling and I noticed something emerging from my live rock yesterday. It is a very small (about 1/8" long) that emerges from a very small hole in the rock. It looks like a finger protruding from the rock. I touched it with a long probe yesterday and it quickly retracted into it's hole. It slowly re-emerged and spent most of the day out in the open. When I turned off the tank lights last night it retracted into it's hole also. I took a pic but it is very hard to see the thing. Any idea what this may be? Kinda cool to have something living in my tank already... -Steve

·
Registered
191 Posts
Cowboymark said:
Where is the pic? It could be a number of things. I hope it isn't aptasia or rock anemone's. look them up and compare.
i dont think it would be one of thos eas it looks like a finger but who knows.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here's the pic
http://home.comcast.net/~stevegoeb/What_am_I.JPG

It looks smooth and is kind of pinkish in color, it also looks like it has a black spot inside it, the "body" is semi-transparent. This morning when I turned the lights on it was already "out", maybe not so scared of the dark? I noticed another one on another part of the same rock too. Any other ideas? Thanks. -Steve

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Do a search for aiptasia. They're very common and you'll have no problems finding a pic to see if that's what you have. I can't get your pic to load for some reason.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took that pic with the camera lens against the glass and the item in question is only about 3/4" on the other side of it, don't think I can get much closer... -Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts