Michigan Reefers banner

What do you do when you miss your target salinity for a water change?

758 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  edacsac 
#1 ·
Like the title says. I shoot for 1.024, I mix my water to 1.024, I add it to the tank and it reads 1.022?

I have auto toppoff, everything was good before my water change. Can I add a bit of dry salt maybe to the sump to bring it up? Is .002 a big swing? I figure I could do another water change, but I'm out of RO water again and I'm affraid to try and tweak the numbers with small amounts of water.

G
#2 ·
I would do it 1 of 2 ways...Either shut off your ATO & add saltwater for top off...over a week or so....raising it gradually....or add salt to your top off water until you reach your SG then REPLACE the ATO water with fresh RO water...

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone! Topoff didn't come on and I'm using a refractometer. So it sounds like .002 is pretty huge. I think I'll up it manually by leaving the ato do it's thing while I'm at work, then add some salt top off while I'm home to monitor. Any idea of what I should make the SG of my topoff with salt? Just do 1.024 until it evens out, since I'm shooting for 1.024 as my stable SG?

Thank you all so much!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.