Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out my tank a little bit ago and everything was looking good, go back to the fridge to grab a beer 35 mins later, turn around and was like wtf!? It looks like someone poured oil into my tank, and that's the best way I can describe it. Tanks been up for almost 2 years, and I've been in this hobby off and on for almost as long as I can remember, and never seen anything like this!! What is it? Also, it looks like a good portion of my plants turned white? Mostly the Feather Calurpa. Not that I'm sad about that because I can't stand the stuff, but I got a small amount of it on accident about a year and 1/2 ago, and it took off so quickly, and was super hard to control.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok I'm just gonna guess it probably went sexual. I've had it happen with grape before but never had that kind of cloudiness, just elevated levels. So I removed about 2 1/2 gallons of the calurpa, cranked up the skimmer, and added carbon to the system. I'll try to report back later on today

·
Registered
937 Posts
The suspense, was it your macro algae? Thought maybe participation from calcium. I have only heard story's about macro going sexual never actually seen it. I had to google image it and sure looks like your pictures.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The suspense, was it your macro algae? Thought maybe participation from calcium. I have only heard story's about macro going sexual never actually seen it. I had to google image it and sure looks like your pictures.
Yes, that's exactly what it ended up being. Crystal clear today and you wouldn't even know it happened.. whew! It was so odd looking, the pictures didn't really do it justice. It looked like someone poured a few bottles of canola oil in the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts