Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't mean to start any problems but what happened to the site? Other than the sale thread this place has become a ghost town. I know some people moved out of state and I heard there were a few tank crashes but where did everyone else go

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I was wondering the same thing! Even the mods seem to have disappeared. I still check the site every day, but the site seems pretty dead (which I guess is better than dealing with issues lol). I miss the old days where there were lots of questions and discussion!

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
There's only a hand full of people who use the site for things other than buying or selling. When I initially joined the forum it was booming. Hopefully it'll pick up now that winters coming and people are trapped inside lol
That's a good point - it does always slow down in the summer. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully we can get it going again
There is some nice things about the national and world wide forums but nothing beats talking to people close to home!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've only ever known this sight as it is now. I've been here for close to two years. I like to ask questions from time to time, and anytime I can answer a question I will, but there definitely is much less discussion going on and much more in the way of sales/trades going on. I'm not against the sales and trades, but I would love to see more discussion, it's how we learn, and really is the reason sites like this were set up in the first place. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah....this forum is definitely not what it used to be. I never spent a ton of time posting, but lots of time reading. It does seem kind of dead. I'm at fault as well.....I'm a poor weather visitor. I usually have too much going on in the warmer months to hang out on the forum.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I've finally got back in the hobby but with a broken laptop and the site blocked on my work PC I don't get on much now. Wish it wasn't blocked on my work PC, its the only reef forum out of all of them blocked: ( otherwise I'd be more active in all areas but hard to do it all from a tablet

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
The site has been going downhill since the sale to the holding company. They do not have a vested interest to promote the site like Vito did.

In addition to that I think it is just the state of the hobby in Michigan. It had it's peak before the 2008 crash and since then I think it has become to expensive for alot of people to get into it and also people just don't have the time to dedicate to it.

It is ironic since we have Sealife at Great Lakes, and the shows on cable but I do not think it is translating into new hobbyists.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The site has been going downhill since the sale to the holding company. They do not have a vested interest to promote the site like Vito did.

In addition to that I think it is just the state of the hobby in Michigan. It had it's peak before the 2008 crash and since then I think it has become to expensive for alot of people to get into it and also people just don't have the time to dedicate to it.

It is ironic since we have Sealife at Great Lakes, and the shows on cable but I do not think it is translating into new hobbyists.
You make a really good point. The reef scene when I got into it was full of life. 2008 hurt and I think the local hobby suffered. It's kind of disappointing, really. I'm getting ready to jump back in, and I know only 1 reefer that is close to me that I've ever met more than twice.

Hopefully things will turn around. Reefers need good company and trustworthy friends in the hobby. You never know when you'll need to rely on one.

Also, I too am blocked from this site at the office. I think it's because of "reefer" being part of the site name. I can get to CR, but that site is less active than this, so I don't frequent that either.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Mine just says "usenet user group" as the reason. I mentioned it in the site feedback and got nowhere. Why would this be the only one blocked on my work computer? Why do all others work besides this one? Thats why i mentioned it to see if they can look into the category the site is listed under aka usenet user group and try to change it or fix it so those wanting to be active here could be more active. I gave up though. So until things change ill lay low just like the rest only only browse the sales areas unfortunately.

·
Registered
525 Posts
While I agree that the hobby likely took a big hit when the economy went downhill, it's funny that my LFS is always pretty booming with business yet this site, which I also consider "local" is such a ghost town. It's the opposite of most things where you see very little activity in 'real life' but a lot online. Apparently all that business that my LFS sees doesn't translate to wanting to come here to discuss the hobby. I wish there was a way to search how many Michigan residents are on Reef Central and how active they are so we could do a real comparison with this site. Is it just the overall situation in our state or, hate to say it, but is it this site specifically that people aren't interested in?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Everyone has moved on to forums where the owners/administrators actively participate. R2R, NanoReef, Captive Reefs, Facebook, etc. This site is pretty much dead, except a week before swaps and the selling forums. 5-6 years ago it was very active and lots of fun. I'm honestly surprised that there are still sponsors here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I personally have never known this site to be active. I came here looking for local reefers but anytime I've posted anything it seems like it takes weeks before anyone ever responds to it or I get no responses at all... the site has always seemed inactive to me since I joined, really the only reason I come here is to look for frag swap dates and because I run out of other things to read on my "normal" forum (thereeftank)... with that said I know TRT has been really slow lately compared to the last couple of years, but that's because they've been doing upgrades to the forum that has caused some problems and drove some of the active members away... and now that I've been in the hobby a few years it just seems like most posts are people asking you to identify their aiptasia or wondering why their hippo tang died in their 30 gallon tank, so I've quit replying to those threads... but there is still a good group of people active on there although not nearly what it used to be.

I am on the west michigan reefers facebook group, but there are a bunch of idiots giving advice on there that don't know what they are talking about most of the time (there are a couple of people that I've seen who are active there that give good advice, but far more people on their 3rd day of running a reef tank telling people how to set up a reef tank).

It would be nice to meet some other local reefers, I have a "Mitten reefers" group on thereeftank to help keep track of other Michigan people on there, but only ever met one person in person from the interwebs and that's because we stopped by her place to pick up a tank she wanted to get rid of, then she came down to check out my tank after the Lansing frag swap this past year... (she's a member here too, but mostly just to look for local trades I think).

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm usually on here several times a week and try to answer any questions I know the answer to. Unfortunately we need a whole lot more people participating to make this an active/thriving site. I love the fact that we can sell/trade stuff on here, but that seems to be the only thing that happens on here anymore, or at least the primary activity on the site. Even then, I see a lot of people having to bump their stuff up because there isn't the activity needed to get things sold. Sure, some of those are because pricing isn't good, but there are a whole lot more that are good pricing, but are just falling through the cracks due to lack of activity on the site.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts