Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Mooch, we need you to post some thought provoking discussions!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discsussion

Might give up on zoas, dealing with what appears to be zoa pox and have treated with furan 2 with limited luck.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
alright then...Just in the middle of reading the new version of calfo's book "Book on coral propagation", and he mentions in a lengthy portion, the importance of dosing a Strong Iodine Solution like Lugol's, to really keep soft corals in tip top shape, and to stimulate growth.

What are the opinions of those out there that have tried this?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I believe as a zoa/paly keeper strong iodine is a MUST! I have used Lugols since the begining, and notice a huge difference in the health, growth, and color of the animals when using! I think this is true with almost any soft coral species. Take for example xenia sp. They seem to thrive well when a iodine source is present... If I stop using lugols, or forget to dose, i see almost a stop in growth or a major slowdown in production with my z's and p's... Of course there are many other factors that play as equal of a role in these areas, but that can be a whole other discussion! :)
Perhaps Mucho or others on the board would like to elaborate a bit more on this topic?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Mucho Reef said:
What happened to the serious polyp related discussions?

Mucho
well, i've been thinking the same myself recently....

first off, mucho, great to see that you're still around trying to stir things up.... i've missed your input but suspect I know why you've been low key and am okay with it...

now to the topic at hand...
1. there's a lot of information out already and people are using the search function.. nah....
2. people do not know what to ask
3. people do not want to ask
4. people don't like being second guessed on their thoughts
5. pack mentality
6. their tanks are doing well
7. don't have the time
8. the fad is fading
9. MI economy
10.people do not want to appear dumb or wrong even though there aren't many wrong ways - just different ways
11.pictures are easier to talk about
12.people using RC instead... gosh I hope not...
13.tang police

that's all I can think of...

-joe

·
Registered
51 Posts
when you dose for iodine, how do you do it, how much, what kind, and do you test for it so you are not over dosing? When I first started with corals,
all soft, I was dosing iodnie mainly for my shrimp, then I was scared off by people telling me I shouldn't, but since I stopped, my tank really hasn't been that great and I lost all my xenias. Never put 2 and 2 together.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I have read in the RandyHolmesFarley articles that the iodine we dose is not the iodine that our tanks want, nor is it the one you can test for. The only true ways of keeping your iodine levels up are through water changes.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Huh, that's interesting about the iodine. You have a link to the articles. I been thinking of testing and dosing for iodine.

Sure seems like nothing beats a good old water change.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Is Iodine dosing good for SPS?
I have a totally mixed reef. I do dose Iodine once in a while.
But I did want to start back up again....
But I do have a major concern about dosing for the paly soft coral type, and hurting or damaging the SPSs.

what do you think?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
ive been dosing for a couple weeks now, and with over 50 different SPS, ive seen no adverse side effects. i do 1 drop per 20 gal, every week.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
please specify what type of iodine is being used... lugols has much higher concentration than other types... so giving blanket statements of how much you are putting in can lead to disaster if someone used Lugols instead of another type you are using...

G

·
juniormc8704 said:
ive been dosing for a couple weeks now, and with over 50 different SPS, ive seen no adverse side effects. i do 1 drop per 20 gal, every week.
what kind of iodine are you using?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
lugols iodine. very strong, very concentrated. Haven't seen any negatives in dosing their recommended amounts.

Some will literally "spot" dose xenia with it, and they simply say SPS do not like this at all. So i would definitely not do that.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
bklynmet said:
well, i've been thinking the same myself recently....

now to the topic at hand...

8. the fad is fading

-joe
To love zoas and Paly's is not a fad..... They are some of the coolest living things out there. My tank is deadlier that 1000 pet king cobra's..... and it's pretty!-devil

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
ereefer said:
To love zoas and Paly's is not a fad..... They are some of the coolest living things out there. My tank is deadlier that 1000 pet king cobra's..... and it's pretty!-devil
I agree... I love zoas too and have nearly 10 different morphs that I really enjoy (I mave a mixed reef so I cannot put more in). But you have to admit, aside from 'look at my pics' posts, there hasn't been much discussion in this particular forum in the past few months. Hence why I stated that the fad is fading.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts