Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... As we are all from mi, those of us in the southern end of the state have a HUGE snow storm coming, it has gotten me to thinking... Wtf do we do if there's a power outage?? I personally live in a 1 bedroom apartment so a generator is not really a viable option, is there anything at all we can do to help ensure our reefs our safe in such an event?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Before I bought a generator, I picked up a battery operated bubbler from Walmart. Actually it's a minnow thing that kicks out a pretty good amount of air bubbles. Works great for this, fishing and transporting fish:victory:

For heat I just heated up water on the stove ( gas range) and put in 20 oz water bottles then put sealed bottles in the tank as the temp dropped.

Worked for me in the past but I'm sure there are others with better suggestions.
Hope we don't need it tomorrow. :no:
John

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope not too, **** good ideas though I like that, only problem for me there... Electric stove hahahaha

·
Registered
744 Posts
Other than what he stated above. I would go with a deep cycle battery and a small power inverter. Then just run a powerhead or if you want bubbles the run a small RIO or something like that with a ventura to get bubbles

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope I have gas hot water, worst case there I can run to speedway, one of them close by should have power seeing how there's 5 within 5 miles lol, thanks guys I'm heading to Walmart now to get some sort of setup for air circ right now just in case, hoping its not needed, but it is michigan lol

·
Registered
427 Posts
Does anyone use those API battery backups i was debating getting on and using it for my heater and a powerhead just curious I'f It's worth it

·
Registered
401 Posts
In the event of a winter power outtage my first concern is heat. During the nasty blizzard we got last year we lost power for about 8 hours, and we had no heat.

Doesn't matter if you have electric heat or not. No electric means no heat other than what's in the tanks - unless you have a fireplace. I have small tanks, so the temp plummeted real fast. One thing I learned years ago is to throw a few heavy blankets over your tank, and it will lock the heat in significantly better than being in the open.

A battery operated UPS, even a big one, will get sucked dry with even a 100watt heater in less than an hour. Straight resistive loads like a heater element kill UPSs fast. You're better off getting creative with a couple cans of sterno and a metal pan if power stays out for a long time because it's more efficient thermal storage. Acropora can tolerate cool temps better than many types of LPS or fish.

A UPS however *will* drive a small power head for a pretty long time. Or, a small air pump for an even longer time. They are worth it that respect as water movers.

·
Registered
679 Posts
TRIAL AND ERROR. This is my WORST case scenario BUT I'm thinking a bubbler and 40 hr heat packs (in a sealed ziplock bag). I'm lucky enough to have 10 on hand. I push Snow so if it gets bad I won't be around but if anyone has access I think this is the best way. I do not have any idea how many it will take or anything but this is the best thing I came up with. I just thought of it when I read this article and was thinking of what the hell I'm going to do "when the **** hits the fan" (doomsday preppers) lol. I will go grab a bubbler though. Anyone think I'm a genius other then myself? Now granted not everyone will have these BUT hand warmers??? :victory:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
This hobby was justification to purchase a generator. If your tank is small a couple of hundred will get you one that will run the whole tank. Beyond worth it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree on the generator for sure! If not for the apartment situation I'd have bought one yesterday lol, I work at a car wash 7am-9pm, so I'm also in the same boat that if we lose power now I'm screwed >:/ lol, hoping for the best, it's now sleet and hail, just hoping the power holds out through this one! Won't be a huge deal in the summer considering apartments stay warm with no ac all I have to worry bout is water movement which is a simple fix! Soooo... Hopefully we all don't lose power today cuz I don't want to find out what if lol

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
My house now has a generator....

But when we lived in St. Louis in a neighborhood I had a battery operated bubbler and I bought an APC computer backup battery which everything plugs into. Granted, it will only buy you another 90 minutes of power, but that might be important. The biggest problem you're going to have is heat. You might consider putting an insulated blanket over the tank and perhaps a propane heater in the vacinity to keep the area warm.

See my "Members Tank" Thread for a pic of the battery backup which I'm still using just for convenience.

http://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/members-tanks/124348-made-michigan-amc78cj7s-tank-build.html

·
Registered
69 Posts
Before I had a generator I never really thought about a power loss until a tornado wiped out the power for a week. For the first couple of days without power I used my scuba gear. Dropped the breather in the tank and cracked the regulator open so it just bubbled away nice and slowly. It was summer so heat was not a problem. Luckily my buddy brought his generator over so I had power for the rest of the time.
Now I would not have a reef tank without a generator or a deep cycle battery with small inverter at the least.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm so glad I bought a generator. I think everyone in this hobby should get one. Mine was only $225 and it will run everything on my tank. There are deals out there. You just have to look!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Man you guys are all bumming me out with the generator talk lol, j/k, seriously though got some great ideas from this thread since generator currently is not an option for me, thanks everyone for the input!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts