Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to raise my Ph it comes out of my rodi at 6.8 I would like to raise it to 8.3. Baking soda doesn't seem to raise it very much. Is there anything better?

·
Registered
725 Posts
There is no reason to try and buffer ro/di water, the pH of highly purified water is not accurately measured by test kits, or by pH meters. There are several different reasons for this, including the fact that highly purified water has very little buffering capacity, so its pH is easily changed. Even the acidity or basicity of a pH test kit’s indicator dye is enough to alter pure water’s measured pH. As for pH meters, the probes themselves do not function well in the very low ionic strength of pure freshwater, and trace impurities on them can swing the pH around quite a bit.

The pH of the combination of two solutions does not necessarily reflect the average (not even a weighted average) of their two pH values. The final pH of a mixture may actually not even be between the pH’s of the two solutions when combined. Consequently, adding pH 7 pure water to pH 8.2 seawater may not even result in a pH below 8.2, but rather might be higher than 8.2 (for complex reasons relating to the acidity of bicarbonate in seawater vs. freshwater).

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
There is no reason to try and buffer ro/di water
If you want a fresh water dip you do. The OP seems to imply that purpose with the targeted ph, but I'm just guessing. Plus his "mood" thingy is "stressed" indicating a radical problem with his clown pair and a need to paint the dining room.

or he stubbed his toe, it's hard to tell with these things. :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm assuming your trying to raise the Ph of your RODI water to combat a low Ph problem in your tank. Do you use Calcium Hydroxide for Ph maintenance?

I agree with a previous poster. RODI has little buffering capability, and can have a deceiving Ph result. You can often raise the Ph of fresh RODI water by aerating the mixture by using a powerhead. I use a mag 9, but my method is probably over kill.

Maybe we could provide some better advice if we knew what your end goal was.

Edit: If my memory serves me correctly, the normal Ph of fresh aerated RODI is 7.0.

Warmest Regards,
James

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well My Tank Ph is low. When I mix my salt That mixture is also low. I have an out break of dino. and cant seem to get rid of it, I read a article about lights out for 3 days and raise th ph up to about 8.6 or higher. I dont seem to be able to get it up. My ph currently in my tank is 7.8 right now. So you see my problem.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Well My Tank Ph is low. When I mix my salt That mixture is also low. I have an out break of dino. and cant seem to get rid of it, I read a article about lights out for 3 days and raise th ph up to about 8.6 or higher. I dont seem to be able to get it up. My ph currently in my tank is 7.8 right now. So you see my problem.
Thank goodness it wasn't your toe! :)

I'd go the CO2 scrubber on the skimmer route. Sodalime in a juice bottle connected to the air line of your skimmer.
. This is the entire thread.

You could also top off with kalk if not doing so already.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
if you're treating you tank, i stand by my first comment. i have no experience with treating my ro/di water, i treat the tank. i mis-read earlier, and now im confused in what you're trying to do.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
It ultimately depends on the source of the low ph which could be co2, ionic imbalance,etc.

Find out the source and then the answer will present itself, starting with the brand of salt, as some are formulated to be buffered to a lower ph than others, then, what is your alk, calcium, as if they are high, that could explain it, as that is a "one is part and affects the other" situation. Then, there is Co2 excess, which is another completely different approach.

What brand of salt to begin with?

·
Registered
732 Posts
A couple questions:

Do you use a Calcium Reactor?
Is your tank in an area of the house with little air flow?
Do you have any form of macro algae in your tank?

You may want to focus on your tanks Ph instead of your RODI. You can use Calcium Hydroxide (Kalkwasser) to boost your Ph in your tank. If you have trouble maintaining your Ph, it could be attributed to (most likely) a low level of Alk. If your battling diatoms, it can very well be your Phosphate level.

Warmest Regards,
James

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
I use two methods

I use two methods and my tank stays at 8.3 Kalk in ATo 1 minute every hour and 4 ML of randy two part dosed exactly the first 10 seconds of every hour. The system works perfect for high demand sps.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To asnswer a couple of question. No I do not have a Calcium Reactor. My tank is built in the back side is in a room that is 6X12X8. good air flow I have a decent size exhaust fan in there (not a small bathroom fan). I do have micro algea growing in my sump. I'm also using GFO my phosphate is at .8 right now. My tank Ph was 7.8 last night. Will be checking again today when I get home from work. Anything else I should check for?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts