Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i decided one of my rocks was too big and broke it apart into little pieces, when i did it i found this stuff inside, what is it? The dark stuff is almost a purple color, the girlfriend says it looks like tar, im not sure if that helps. Also it looks like there are some tiny holes in it, a mouth of some sort maybe. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
It looks like the black sponge of death to me... I don't know what it actually is, but this stuff (if it's what I have dealt with in the past) creeps up on you and covers all your rock. It is tough like the skin of GSP, but attaches 10x stronger. It covers like a sponge and keeps growing and growing and growing!

I helped one guy shut down a 180g reef that was consumed in about a year. The stuff was so thick that when we removed the rock some was attached to the back wall. We emptied the tank and there were rocks stuck to the back wall that weighed over 20lbs!

Some rocks had to be sawed apart... I don't know what the stuff is, or if anything eats it. What I do know is, any time I see black or really dark blue/purple I take the rock out of the tank and let it dry for at least a month... I've let this stuff sit out for a week and put the rock back in and it started growing again.

It's really creepy stuff!!!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
It is a sponge. Stuff grows where it can. Probably got no light and plenty of food. This is how in nature a pile if rocks becomes a solid reef. Things grow rocks together and corals calcify them. Sorry not a direct answer but without seeing it I can't really tell.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.