Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a pair of clowns for my new tank last weekend. The LFS said "True Perc"; but the black lines are not well defined.

Can anyone verify if this is a Perc or and occelaris? I'll be damned if they'll sit still long enough for me to count the spines on the dorsal fin... I don't really care which species I have (I've had both previously and liked each); but just like to know what I have. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, and they're just babies right now. About an inch in length. Eyes appear kind of orange in person.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
The only sure fire way is to count the spines. The black is not an accurate way - I had occies that had a lot of black. Their coloring can also change based on lighting, my pair were a very deep orange, usually the more colorful are percs.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only sure fire way is to count the spines. The black is not an accurate way - I had occies that had a lot of black. Their coloring can also change based on lighting, my pair were a very deep orange, usually the more colorful are percs.
Great. I'll ask them to hold still for a few minutes while I count the spines... :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Why not try to get a good clear picture and count the spines there? I don't know the difference, but I can count some spines on the picture....:victory:

·
Registered
445 Posts
I recently found out that Percs gain their stripes with age and I bet the black will get more defined as they age.

I'd pm cableguy he raises both and might be able to tell you by the photo

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I PM'd cableguy twice now, but nothing shows up in my "sent" folder. Don't know what's wrong with the system but hopefully he'll see this thread and respond.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
i have sent a lot of messages lately while working on the barrel group buy. nothing is in my sent folder either.

my clown got thicker black stripes as he aged.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I will say occelaris for reasons i will keep to myself. Seen a lot of these lately

·
Registered
297 Posts
It's tough to say for sure what you have unless you can find out which breeder they came from. Perculas can take longer for their black outlines to develop than Occelaris. You can't tell for certain by counting spines either. The shape of the dorsal fin on this guy says Occelaris imo but the eye says Percula.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Seeing as where you reside did you get them from ypsi fish doctors? If so they are likely from sustainable aquatics

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts