Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like my green acro colony is gonna die over the past few days it has gone white there is about 1/4 of the colony left should i frag off what is left or just leave it?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I would frag what is still healthy being clear to frag only what is healthy so you may end up leaving some on the colony that has color and polyp extension. Any thoughts as to what is going on? Has anything changed with your systems? Are the params in line?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would frag what is still healthy being clear to frag only what is healthy so you may end up leaving some on the colony that has color and polyp extension. Any thoughts as to what is going on? Has anything changed with your systems? Are the params in line?
My guess is its red bugs that i still havent treated and its been about a month sense i noticed i had them.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Cut and make sure you remove well above the necrosis. If you have redbugs I would treat sooner than later. However, it's doubtful that they were responsible for taking out a colony in a few days.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cut and make sure you remove well above the necrosis. If you have redbugs I would treat sooner than later. However, it's doubtful that they were responsible for taking out a colony in a few days.
i know it did also have hair algae start to grow on it i tryed to blow it off but it kept coming back?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
The hair algae was probably feeding of the dying matter of the coral, what better place to grow than at the source of the nutrients.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got done fragging what was left i ended up saving to 3in tall pieces the rest was completely white out of a coloney that was bigger than my hand :(

·
Registered
715 Posts
Better to save 3" than let it go another day or two and only end up with an inch. RTN/STN rarely ends well and helps to be proactive. It will grow and be more rewarding when it gets back to colony size.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Rtl is never good and I've seen huge colonies wither away in a week. Once it starts its usually the end. I've lost acros for no reason that I could find. I did save a 1" piece off of one of them that is growing now. Sad because it was 6"but at Katy I was able to save something. Just make sure all the white is off your new piece because it will most likely spread to your new frag.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Do red bugs kill lps too. Because im having a simular problem when i add sps to my tank. It has led me to give up on sps. But all my lps is fine.

Sent from my Samsung Smartphone using Tapatalk. When I should be doing something more productive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts