Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So right now i am using an ati aquablue special, a geissman aquablue? (not sure what they call their version), an ati blue +, and an ati actinic. I noticed mosy people are using one actinic, 2 blue, and one aquablue +. Does this have an advantage over what im doing?

Sent from my Samsung Smartphone using Tapatalk. When I should be doing something more productive.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I am running a MH and T5 combo in this order front to back. Seems to have some good color. I think it would be better with quality reflectors. Currently using aluminum flashing in a DIY hood.

ATI Blue+
ATI Purple+
Plusrite 175w 14k MH (looking into Phoenix 14k or Ushio 15k)
ATI Blue+
ATI True Actinic (thinking about replacing with another ATI Purple+ or KZ Fiji Purple)

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have mentioned i have strips of 452 nm LED. So i dont need more than one actinic to get alot of color. Basically im asking what is more beneficial for the corals, the aquablue, or blue plus?

Sent from my Samsung Smartphone using Tapatalk. When I should be doing something more productive.

·
Registered
414 Posts
3 Actinic
1 Blue
1 10k
1 Purple

I switched to the Wavepoint Brand this last bulb change from the ATI and KZ mix. Curious to see what type of life I get out of them for $15 a pop on Amazon.

Growth so far has been good after 45 days.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I should have mentioned i have strips of 452 nm LED. So i dont need more than one actinic to get alot of color. Basically im asking what is more beneficial for the corals, the aquablue, or blue plus?

I guess it would depend on how much more blue you want. The Aqua Blue special will give you more white with a hint blue while the Blue+ will strictly be blue. As for aiding coral growth. The Aqua Blue special will probably give better results. How much more light do you think you need?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont think i need more light i was just wondering why so many people are only using one 10k-15k when i have been using 2 this whole time. I think i have plenty of blue. Especially with the geissman and the leds. Wanted to make sure im aiding my corals the best i can with that i got. Plus i got this clam now so i really want to make sure im doing this right.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The blue+ have as much par as a white bulb. Some people run all blue+ with great results.
Here's what's im running.
Front to back
Ati blue+
Ati aquablue special
Ati actinic
Ati blue+
Kz Fiji purple
Ati blue+

Gives a nice 15k look.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if i ever wanted more light i could take out my actinic bulb and replace it with either a blue+ or aquablue special? Remember i still have the 452nm led for good color and pop.
Also are my leds doing anything to supplement coral health? Or do they work pretty much like the actinics, just for looks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts