Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Hammer Coral has been putting out a huge slime string off the back. When basting today I decided to check it out and found this thing that is about the diameter of a dime....

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Use photobucket and copy the img code and paste it in here. When you attach a thumbnail its only about an inch

·
Registered
167 Posts
It is a slime worm not sure the name but they put out a string of slime to collect food in the water then reel the slime back in.

·
Registered
659 Posts
if it is what i think its actually a snail . does the main body of this thing twirl like a snails shell . if so the worst itll do is spit out cob webs . but i still get em out if i can,cob webs suk.

·
Registered
937 Posts
sounds like you are talking about a vermetid snail. They are somewhat beneficial and somewhat of a pest.. If they are growing somewhere where you don't want them just break them off. Otherwise I would leave them. What they do is let out that web which is sticky grab organics that might otherwise break down in your water. You'll notice them most often when you have stirred up the tank letting out there web trying to grab the stuff floating about.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you bluwc/Troy, I finally got it posted full size!

I have vermetid snails and they are a tiny nuisance smaller around than an uncooked spagetti noodle and have a tight coil at the base. The slime string they put out is no bigger than regular spider web strands.

This bugger is about as big around as 3 combined spagetti noodles. The coil is loose and about the diameter of a dime. This slime is about 10 to 15 strands in 1 output of regular spider web strands.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'm sure there are various types and most likely larger sizes that the ones we normally see. They can grow with time. I know when I see any growing to close to my corals I break them off. Some wont open if they are too closes, the web can irretate some corals. I know my Blasto welsi would open when one was growing next one of the heads. But, they are benificial so I dont mess with any others I see.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Just a thought, but it looks like it is growing under the skin of the hammer. I bet if you super glued the opening shut it would kill whatever it is!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Just a thought, but it looks like it is growing under the skin of the hammer. I bet if you super glued the opening shut it would kill whatever it is!
I noticed that to and was thinking it was a bit odd. Good you pointed that out. Are those two heads closest to it always closed up like that? If so, this snail could be the cause and would warrent acction. Super glue would work, just dont get it on the heads of the Hammer.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I would agree that looks like it is irritating the hammer. It looks like that one head is not opening you can see skeleton. I would try and remove or other wise get rid of it myself.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm not sure how removing it is going to work either, considering it looks like its grown under the skeleton. Id almost do what allen said and put a glob if super glue over the end if its mouth. Starve it to death and hopefully in a few Weeks the hammer shows some better signs

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for the input!

Yes he is under the skin of the hammer. If it is a vermetid snail, it is about 20x the size of what I usually deal with.

Will glue the bugger up tonight. Hopefully this works.

It is a beautiful Hammer but not as vibrant as the pic shows. I got LED's for Christmas and the Hammer and camera setting are really showing off the blue.

BTW, I got it at last years swap. Can't wait for this years swap!!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is there any chance that if I glue the hole shut this thing will move on to another location under the skin of my hammer?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I doubt it, it took some time to burrow in there and was probably on it last year when you picked it up. I would think it would starve to death before it could get anywhere.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts