Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
In a 29 gallon, I wouldn't add anything else than a pair of clowns at once. That is a big bioload and any more than that could shock the system. But, just about any peacefull fish suitable for a 29 gallon. Check out liveaquaria.com and there nano tank list. Lots of good info.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I agree with Jesse, I started with a bio 29 with a pair of clowns, added a twin spot hog and it pushed it over the limit not only in bioload but also the females can get pretty vicious

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Maybe something like a red scootr blenny. Found in the dragonet section of liveaquaria. And i would also check the nano section. Ive never looked at that page though so i dont know whats there.

·
Registered
679 Posts
^ told ya so :/ LOL!!!!!!!!! clowns can hold their own, you really could do anything suitable for a nano tank. I've had clowns in with gobies, blennies, Basslets, wrasse and pipefish. Clowns can be mean so I wouldn't suggest a helfrichi firefish, pipefish or any fish that can't really fight back (learned the hard way thankfully I had two tanks lol). To be honest with a tank that size I would stick with a shrimp & goby, maybe a sixline or Mccoskers wrasse or possible some sort of basslet (yellow assesors are very cool!). the only fish you should stay away from is clowns, as mentioned above damsels and fish too big for your system. I would agree with adding them a couple weeks apart. Good luck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for the input guys! I'm thinking of going with some kind of goby, currently have 12-13 hermits, a ton of tiny snails, 2 peppermint shrimp, and a frag of zoas that's been in for 1 week today and seems to be doing awesome! I'm going to the show on sun and plan on coming home with 2 clowns either from there or preuss, and a few frags of coral maybe 2-3 diff types, then in a couple few weeks probably some sort of goby, I'm in love with the mandarin but I'm reading they are insanely hard in any saltwater tank

·
Registered
674 Posts
Thanks again for the input guys! I'm thinking of going with some kind of goby, currently have 12-13 hermits, a ton of tiny snails, 2 peppermint shrimp, and a frag of zoas that's been in for 1 week today and seems to be doing awesome! I'm going to the show on sun and plan on coming home with 2 clowns either from there or preuss, and a few frags of coral maybe 2-3 diff types, then in a couple few weeks probably some sort of goby, I'm in love with the mandarin but I'm reading they are insanely hard in any saltwater tank
That's alot of hermits. WHat kind are they?
Also you may loose a shrimp unless you can spot feed them.
What's a "ton" of snails?

·
Registered
679 Posts
12 hermits will turn into 1 really big hermit within 6 months lol. Also OP it is not impossible to keep a mandarin it's just not recommened. I have a 29 gallon also and keep a blue stripe pipefish (which has the same feeding habits as a mandarin). It's possible, but it takes a mature tank and very specialized care . . . But that's my .02 :victory:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is about 6-7 zebra leg I think they are, 6 blue leg and 2 scarlet, as far as the snails, idk how many they are tiny but I'd say between 25-30, they were hitchhikers on the live rock.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I wanted a pipe for EVER! I waited until my tank was around a year old, I added chaeto to my display just to gives pods a place to breed. I added some pods twice over 3 months. (I do not add them anymore, and he does not feed on anything else but pods.) Now the thing to understand is a pipe is alot smaller than a mandarin, so mine eats less! you may have to add them more frequent. I consider myself the exception not the norm lol. But just letting you know it is possible.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
+1 to Damsels are EVIL!
A goby and pistol shrimp pair would be nice for a smaller tank. As for the hermits, put an assortment of shells in there larger than what they are currently in. They love to switch shells, not to mention if they dont have them. Expect to see some floating hermit bodies around the tank. They will pull each other out just to see if they like that shell. I have watched this many times over.

·
Registered
488 Posts
As for the mandarin, would it be possible to seed the tank with copepods, spelling?, seed now and get a mandarin in 3-4 months?
He would decimate the population and starve unless you add a refugium, you could try constantly adding tigger pods or find one that is accepting other foods...I know preuss will occasionally have ones that are accepting pellets, call and ask for Jake, Steve or Wayne

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.