Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Depends on what your goals are for the tank, and what kind of filtration and dosing system you maintain.

I personally don't use Reef Crystals because of the high alk. Others have had great success with it.

There are a lot of good salt mixes out there, just find one that the parameters come close to matching what you desire for your tank and you will be fine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i also like salinity salt i have tried many other types from instant ocean, reef crystals, bright well, red sea but the salinity has my vote a little more costly than most but worth it

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ive used a few an so far my favorite has been Brightwell. My levels were good and it dissolves fast.

Red Sea Pro was similar to the bright well.

Instant ocean is cheap but not very good.

I read a review were Reef Crystals was actually one of the more consistent brands as far as levels go.

I would just try different brands and see what you like.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I use Reef Crystals because of cost and consistency. Instant Ocean is a world wide leader in marine salt. If you go to the large aquariums around the world and ask, 9 out of 10 will say they use instant ocean (unless they pump in direct from the ocean). They buy these monstrous 1 ton sacks that are HUGE! Because of their quantity, they sell their product for much cheaper than any competitor could.

I like Brightwell, because they are a great company, and make quality products. However, its costly and not quite as good as reef crystals in my opinion.

Aquavitro is great salt, and if you don't like to dose, this is your salt. Do a solid 10% water change weekly on a stocked reef tanks and you shouldn't need to dose anything.

I'd suggest the aquavitro with automated (or simplified) 10% weekly water changes to anyone who is interested in SPS dominated tanks.

I have tried many other salts over the years, but always go back to the Reef Crystals... I just wish they would bring back the screw top lids... I got rid of many of my old ones and now they have the pop top... BLAH!

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Salt

I have had crazy growth with Aquavrito Salinity. You seen my tanks and they were only a year old. I contribute the growth to the salt. RC is good but I didnt get the grwoth until I got to Aquavrito. Cheapest place in your area is StingRay Bay 9mile and Kelly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.