Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to start this thread because my lovely husband doesnt know a thing about saltwater, and he will often try to give me tips, lol, and they are so rediculous.

His last one, about last week, was "why dont we start fragging the fish!?"

He was dead serious, I could not stop laughing! It had to be the funniest thing I had ever heard! It all came about because I was talking about fragging corals.... Apparently he had no idea what that meant.

I'd like to hear other stories, this thread is supposed to be filled with funny things and just crazy stuff. Let's not get into bashing stores by name or anything thing like that. This isn't a "haters thread" just supposed to get a laugh and share your stories :)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol I just realized the title says you have ewe been given, lol, dang iPhone auto correcting crap!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the worst advice i ever got was someone telling me that keeping a saltwater reef was easy.

6 years later i still dont find it easy lol
Lol I dont think I have ever been told it was easy, maybe cuz I'm a chick but whenever I walk into a fish store, they try to steer me towards the goldfish section LMAO!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just bought a new aquarium off craigslist and the guy told me to cycle the aquarium with yellow tangs.
Did you get a Biocube? Haha people are always trying to put tangs in those things. I always laugh when someone is looking at a baby hippo tang and the fish store employee will be like "well what size tank do you have"
The guy replies "a 30 gallon"
Employee "oh yea that will be plenty of room for him"

I just shake my head....

·
Registered
207 Posts
fragging fish

Now that is some funny stuff I can see someone with their fragging stuff and maybe a Gem tang, fragging it..lol

I think the advice I got way back when was from somebody saying..." hey get a saltwater tank, they are so relaxing, you can just sit there and watch it and feel your blood pressure dropping. I dont think I have ever lowered my blood pressure while relaxing and staring at my tank. I have tried, but I will see a fish rub against a rock and think they have ich, or maybe a little hair algae, and lets face it, with the money we all put into this crazy hobby, our blood pressure never goes down, just the dollar amount in our checking accounts usually.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did you get a Biocube? Haha people are always trying to put tangs in those things. I always laugh when someone is looking at a baby hippo tang and the fish store employee will be like "well what size tank do you have"
The guy replies "a 30 gallon"
Employee "oh yea that will be plenty of room for him"

I just shake my head....
Nope just purchased a small slice of ocean. 72"x24"x36" 270 gallon acrylic tank with oak stand and canopy.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I can't remember any one thing - but my favorite is hearing the 'sales' people at any non-reputable LFS talking to customers...

"Yea, yellow tangs are perfect for small tanks - you just have to buy them small"

"If you do enough water changes, you won't need a skimmer"

"It's just a puffer - he might pick at some things, but he'll be fine."

ESH!

I've actaully jumped in a time or two (to the dismay of the LFS) if the BS starts getting too deep...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Now that is some funny stuff I can see someone with their fragging stuff and maybe a Gem tang, fragging it..lol

I think the advice I got way back when was from somebody saying..." hey get a saltwater tank, they are so relaxing, you can just sit there and watch it and feel your blood pressure dropping. I dont think I have ever lowered my blood pressure while relaxing and staring at my tank. I have tried, but I will see a fish rub against a rock and think they have ich, or maybe a little hair algae, and lets face it, with the money we all put into this crazy hobby, our blood pressure never goes down, just the dollar amount in our checking accounts usually.
Lol! Yea.... At first I thought he was trying to be funny.... Until he didn't laugh when I did.....

Haha, absolutely no clue what fragging was!

Last time he told me my refugium kept turning on ..... Of course im like huh?!?! I come down stairs.... He meant my chiller......

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
i wish i could chime in, but between the excellent staff at my LFS and the fine contributors on this site, i can't think of anything. although i am definitely enjoying everyone's stories so far.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love when I hear that the fish will only grow to the size of the tank..... Yes a baby naso tang will stay tiny if you keep it in a tiny tank...... Um yea...... It probably will, but that's because it will die of stress before or gets big....

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts

Gpora is an easy coral to keep. Tatooed kid at tropical treasures.

Dont QT your fish with ICH it will stress them more - young kids at reef solutions

Tank can cycle in one day with live rock - Owner Oceans and Seas

h

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol well in all fairness, I don't think you should take fish out of your display tank once they have ich. I lost almost all my fish from an ammonia spike once in the qt tAnk. I'll never take them out again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
coral can live for weeks out of water!!!!!
When I bought my first saltwater setup,
lady was taking advice from her son (13y old)

·
Registered
440 Posts
A lot of these are somewhat true, to a point.

No skimmer- if its a small tank imo a skimmer isn't necessary and water changes will work fine.

Don't quarantine- let's say your quarantine is a 10g. Well putting your Achilles tang in a 10g won't work very well to cure the ick.

Live rock cycle in one day- if you buy established live rock and kept it under water the whole time before you put it in your tank there may not be a cycle.

Any advice you get you should research it first and read all you can. Make your own judgement on what you think is accurate. We can't blame what someone told us as there mistake.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Lol. On the topic of coral going weeks without water. There is a girl that i work with that is well.... Unique? anyways her sister who lives out of state has a fowlr tank. The girl returned from a trip visiting her sis and has showed me about 100 pics and a really long video of the same three fish (occy clown. Niger. And loinfish) each time making little voices for all the fish... Work *****....

Anyways she has asked me many times now how long coral can go out of water. Apparently her sis is has "coral" that has been out of water for a very long time and is now attempting to grow it in her fowlr....

Someone has clearly given her some bad advice.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wait a second..... Your telling me this dried piece of birdsnest won't come back alive in water.....I had big plans for this piece!.... . Wtf?!?

Lol jk ;-)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts