Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in trouble. My Kroger stopped selling the Mrs. Swages stuff and I'm down to 3 lbs.

Q:Where do you guys buy this stuff or does everybody use Calcium reactors and I'm still in the 1980s?

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
TomToro said:
I'm in trouble. My Kroger stopped selling the Mrs. Swages stuff and I'm down to 3 lbs.

Q:Where do you guys buy this stuff or does everybody use Calcium reactors and I'm still in the 1980s?
I have some to give to Tomtoro.......tomorrow.

Have a good night......the Captain and Sprite is sailing right now.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't think your back in the 80's, I don't have a calcium reactor either. But, if I had the money I would buy one :)
-Brandon

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dentdominator said:
I have some to give to Tomtoro.......tomorrow.

Have a good night......the Captain and Sprite is sailing right now.
Well, tell the Cap'n I'll pay for it. That stuff's too expensive to give away. Thanks good buddy. See ya tomorrow.

And thanks Mr. Bob. Glad I'm not alone.

·
Registered
141 Posts
what do you use Pickling Lime for? Still a Newbe I guess, so just curious what the use of th lime is for, is this something I should be doing?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
180wall said:
I have a 50lb food grade bad still about 60% full if you want some.
If you don't need it, I'll buy it off you. How much will you take for it?
Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
shihtzu217 said:
what do you use Pickling Lime for? Still a Newbe I guess, so just curious what the use of th lime is for, is this something I should be doing?
I drip it 24/7 to keep the alk/calcium where it should be. It's Kalkwasser.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Kenbow19 said:
Kalk is a balanced additive that adds Calcium and Akalinity in balanced amounts;)

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php
i just read that whole article (true story)

so kalkwasser isnt a brand of chemical added to a tank but merely lime water? i never knew that. i never used the stuff. i use reef builder and reef buffer for those purposes, and just add calcium daily as needed, with strontium...interesting.

i may look into a calc reactor or somthing.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
tjl116 said:
you can buy it here! is this the same as kalk? or does kalk have more addatives?
http://www.canningpantry.com/pickling-lime.html
Yes ...it is the same stuff (kalkwasser is the German term for pickling lime) and there is no reason at all that you cant use it. There is even the Ball brand that Ive heard of others using. But from what I have read there is some differances when it comes to purity. In some other brands there is more dirt content (not much but some) causing a grey'er mix (over time) at the bottom of your container to show up. So if you dont mind having to wash out your container every so often, then no problem. Typically these brands are a little cheaper also.

There are many advantages to using kalk. My ph stays between 8.1-8.3 depending on the time of day and I have maybe had to add 1/2 a teaspoon each of Dkh buffer or Cal in the last 3 months.

·
Registered
916 Posts
TM01 said:
Yes ...it is the same stuff (kalkwasser is the German term for pickling lime) and there is no reason at all that you cant use it. There is even the Ball brand that Ive heard of others using. But from what I have read there is some differances when it comes to purity. In some other brands there is more dirt content (not much but some) causing a grey'er mix (over time) at the bottom of your container to show up. So if you dont mind having to wash out your container every so often, then no problem. Typically these brands are a little cheaper also.

There are many advantages to using kalk. My ph stays between 8.1-8.3 depending on the time of day and I have maybe had to add 1/2 a teaspoon each of Dkh buffer or Cal in the last 3 months.
thanks for the info, ive been useing kalk for 3 years now but never knew it was the same as pickled lime-devil

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
In some other brands there is more dirt content (not much but some) causing a grey'er mix (over time) at the bottom of your container to show up.
I recently switched to Mrs. Wages and found that I have FAR less grey leftover in my kalk reactor than when I was using the "pure" KW mix purchased from a marine supply source. I believe I was previously using Seachem brand.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I too am trying to purchase hydrated lime in Michigan in Bulk. I buy all my supplies for my 240G reef in bulk or I become very poor very fast. I am trying to setup a kalkreactor for my reef to supplement the calcium reactor and bring up ph and lower phosphates at the same time. I will not do this if I can't find a bulk supplier. I have calulated that I use 30G of topoff / wk at 2tbs of kalk/gallon = 32oz of kalk/wk or 2lbs per week or 100lbs or so / year!!! This is far too much to go to walmart everyweek and pay $300 or so/ year when I could get a giant bag of it somewhere.

Missippii lime refuses to sell it to a 'residential' user. I am running out of ideas on bulk suppliers, think cheap people. IE, under a $1/lb.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts