Michigan Reefers banner
956 views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  weimers75 
#1 ·
I have asked some people already but I recently got a neon green trumpet head, a green singulara some waving Xenia, a orange cap Monti and a leather coral where should I put these in my tank? In high or low flow?and high or low in the tank for lighting?

#7 ·
ATI makes good bulbs. Which bulbs. If they are actinic, they wont be giving on the right spectrum to aid in coral health and growth. They are most for the look. Bulbs like the Aquablue special, blue+, purple+ are the ones that you will want from ATI. A 4 bulb setup doesnt give much room for a mix but, its a start. You could go with something like
Blue+
Aquablue special
Blue+
Aquablue Special

Or throw a Fiji Purple or ATI purple+ in there instead of a blue+

I would probably start your corals out half way with two bulbs, watch them and move them as needed. How long before you get the 4 bulbs running?

#12 ·
Pay attention to there color, how open the heads or polyps are. Lighting is not the only concern here. Flow plays a very important role as well. Look each of these corals us online and see what they look like, read more into there requirements. Just type the coral name into your search engine.

The trumpet would preffer low to moderate flow, medium to high light, not all of them though, it may vary.

The sinularia I am not sure of, but I would think moderate flow, low to moderate lighting.

xenia almost anywhere

Monti cap under the lighting you have, start low, if it doesnt start to color up move it up a few inches and moderate flow. some high flow.

#13 ·
The monti cap wasn't the best choice since you're so new and especially since the tank is so new. Montis are sps - which are the most sensitive corals. General recommendations are that your tank should be a year old for sps (can be done earlier by seasoned reefers). You will also need to start a calcium and alkalinity supplement as they have much higher calcium demands than lps (your trumpet). SPS require high light, so start that at the top. Also, don't add all 4 bulbs at once or you'll shock your corals. Add one more, wait a week, then the other.

You may get lucky. As far as sps go, caps are somewhat forgiving, so hopefully it does ok. You'll have to keep a close eye on it. If it goes downhill, it will go downhill fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.