Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In our nano reef tank, I want a fish that will swim around, be social, go in and out of the rock work, enjoy the caves, and get along with our corals, pistol shrimp, and goby...
So which one of the following will be the one I want?
Personal experiences wanted :)

~Orchid Dottyback
~Springer's Dottyback
~Brazilian Gramma
~Royal Gramma
~Yellow & Blue Assessor's
~South Sea Devil Damsel
~Striped Damsel
~FireGoby
~Zebra Dart Goby

And if we wanted two of them..which shouldn't we house together?
Any other fish you would recommend for a nano?!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
If I may suggest something else and I see you are considering Damsels, here are two that stay relatively smaller and are a little less aggressive than most.

Talbots Damsel
What makes Talbot's stand out amongst the more than 325 described species of Pomacentrids (the family of Damselfishes) are several outstanding characteristics. It's small size (a giant one attains two inches overall length), easygoing disposition (not mean in the least), it's ease of being trained to take any, all prepared, frozen/defrosted foods of small size, the fish's lack of predation on sessile invertebrates, its inherent toughness/resistance to disease, damage through the supply side, oh, and Talbot's beauty , behavior and grace of movement.

Yellow Tail Damsel
Chrysiptera parasema (Fowler 1918), the Yellow-Tail Blue Damsel. Contending for first place as "most used member of the family of Damselfishes". From the western Pacific. To two and a half inches. Hardy and relatively easygoing. One in an aquarium, another in N. Sulawesi by RMF and another aquarium shot by Hiroyuki Tanaka.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we had a talbots in there... but he jumped out! we were SHOCKED when we found him!
And we have a yellowtail in our main tank... which we have thought about relocating it.. IF we could catch him without taking out everything..

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Orchid dottybacks are animals that everyone who observes your aquarium will comment on. Its a very active and peaceful member of the dottyback family. I would suggest finding a tank raised one.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zrack4 said:
What no Clown Fish??????????:eek:
Had clowns.. trading them for better lights ;)
Our clowns aren't active, and as cute as they are.. I'd prefer something that spends time in the middle part of the tank. The clowns were cool enough to let us pet them though! LOL

And to the other ?, its a 10g

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
zrack4 said:
What no Clown Fish??????????:eek:
Had clowns.. trading them for better lights ;)
Our clowns aren't active, and as cute as they are.. I'd prefer something that spends time in the middle part of the tank. The clowns were cool enough to let us pet them though! LOL

And to the other ?, its a 10g

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would not put Damsels in a tank that you may eventually grow. In my opinion Damels are not good community fish. The Royal Gramma is beatifull and pretty much stays to one area of my tank and Dottyback are good but can hide a lot. I know this probably does not help but, there is my opinion :p

·
Registered
750 Posts
i dont wanna start a fight or n e thing but i would not recommend a orchid in a 10 gallon...mayb its just my orchid that likes to move alot, he does stay in place but when he wants to explore he explores lol but if you do go and get one (probly one of the most beautiful fish you will ever see) make sure its tank raised, i ordered mine from aquaticreflections on the board, arrived next day looking great!!!! and still doing great!!!....another awesome fish is pink n blue spotted goby...if you get a small one you might be ok in a 10 g

·
Registered
10 Posts
NO three striped damsel, we had to initially, one got huge and well, killed a new fish, bully.We used a 2 liter trap, and being the "I 'll get even with you" type personality, went right in, back to the fish store.Funny thing is the other one stayed small, the original size.NOW that one is getting huge, so it's next outta that tank.
If you have sand substrate, get a sand sifting goby, cool dude, and hes has a nice color pattern and shape to boot, and small.

scott

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
outdoorsman said:
NO three striped damsel, we had to initially, one got huge and well, killed a new fish, bully.We used a 2 liter trap, and being the "I 'll get even with you" type personality, went right in, back to the fish store.Funny thing is the other one stayed small, the original size.NOW that one is getting huge, so it's next outta that tank.
If you have sand substrate, get a sand sifting goby, cool dude, and hes has a nice color pattern and shape to boot, and small.

scott
Can we have a sifting goby even though we already have a watchman and pistol shrimp? I don't want to interfer with what they've got going on and they pretty much have the entire bottom of the tank the way the pistol wants it..

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok.. so thinking further... what about a
SEAHORSE?
I don't know much about them yet, but did read that it will get along with my goby.. which we never see anyways, so it definatly won't be competing for it's food..

What do you think?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts