Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it better to spend the extra money on a pre-built sump/fuge or try and save a couple extra bucks and build it yourself?

I ask because I am really unhappy with the sump that I currently have and want to rip it out and start over (plumbing and all)!!

I found this sump/fuge this morning and it looks nice and should meet my needs, but holy smokes on the price.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...ROD&Product_Code=TS36BR&Category_Code=CprSump

Also, is it better to have a sump and a seperate fuge??? The only space I have is under my 120 gallon tank so I have limited room (48"L x 24"W x 36"H). If the fuge is eliminated, I have also seen these sumps (minus the bio balls)

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...D&Product_Code=AG-19015&Category_Code=CprSump

I am not good with plastics or glass so making one on my own would be difficult at best. I would need to hire someone to help me, which in the end would it just be better to buy one already build and save the time and headache.

What do you think? Any ideas?

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
If you want - I can help you build one - here at my house.

No charge - just buy the materials and glass tank, we can drill it out and build it custom to your tank.

Let me know, your about 1 hour and 15 minutes away.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! That would be great! Is there a place near you to buy the materials?

I only ask becuase I'm not sure the dimensions that I would need (baffles width and height) and would need your assistance.

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
Yeah, There's a glass company here in town, I dealt with - so the materials are all available.

Let me know what you have in mind - and what we are dealing with.

PM me and we talk and get the ball rolling.

Alex

G

·
sumps are really easy to build and really dont require too much work, when i made my 20l sump/fuge i think i had about 15mins of work put in it.hardest part is getting your measurments right for the skimmer and equipment you are planning on running.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
If you wanted to dragon, I'm a bit closer than Dent is. I could also help with it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
personally DIY sumps are my cup of tea.
you can personalize them to your needs and place baffles and such were YOU need them.

so overall its better, plus it will be easy on the wallet!

let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I would agree, build your own, I suggest findign the largest tank you can actually get under your tank, and start with that. Make sure you can get the tank into possition in your stand.

I bought a 50 breeder for my 120, I couldn't fit it thru the door to get it in, and my tank already was full, so I had to down size to a narrower tank. If I had built everything and installed the sump prior to filling the tank, the 50 breeder would have been perfect. With the cost of the tank (used, but nearly brand new) and all other materials, I have about $60 into my sump, with will hold 2x the water compared to the one you showed for $450, and probably works as well.

·
Registered
748 Posts
We had to wait a few weeks because we ordered and odd-sized AGA 33 long- it was a special order- but it is on their stock list- so it was not a special build.

We figured out the longest, tallest tank that would still allow us to do maint on the sump- ordered the tank. And then used the info on
melevsreef.com to figure out baffle size, placement, and compartment order.

It has been over 3 years- and our acrylic baffles have not let go from our glass sump. We used acrylic as that is what we already had available for no additional cost. Just made sure if you are siliconing acrylic to glass that the acrylic does not fit tightly- you want to fill in the space with silicone. The pressure in the compartments change with changing water levels- and glass and acrylic expand differently. If the baffles are tight- acrylic pressing on glass- your glass tank will break.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
DIY is the best in my opinion. You can taylor it to your tank needs and if you use a glass tank, it's much cheaper. Plus you get the advice of guys like Dent. You need to check out his build to see the level of help you'll be getting. First class all the way with no shortcuts.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Currently I have a 50 gallon breeder tank with a few baffles that I'm using for a sump (detris build up in the sump area where the skimmer, return pump, heater, pH probe, etc) is only one of the reason this set up is driving my nuts!!! I also hate the wires running everywhere as well as the half a$$ plumbing job I did. Heres a pic of the current set up:

The above picture is a couple months old and I have since moved the phos reactor to the left side and the area where water comes in to the sump from the tank has a light with cheato algea.

I don't have a ton of room under the tank with a 50 gallon breeder (36x18x18). I'm running a ASM G2 skimmer and a mag 12 return pump. I'd like to go to a bigger return pump or an external plus I'd like to add a UV.

1) Should I go with a skinner tank for a sump?
2) Should I go with a shorter breeder tank like a 30 or 40 gallon (12" or 16" respectively) versus 18" currently?

Anyone want to help me with a design now that you know what I'm working with?

Note: My tank is a 120 gallon All Glass Aquarium with 2 mega overflows. I have two 1 or 1 1/4" drains and two 3/4" returns.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
You could also think about using a plastic tub, either from a tractor supply store or even one at meijer for clothes and such.. you could then have a smaller tub put into the sump for a DSB/Fuge. Very cheap and reliable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts