Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just got my new sump today and it came with a rio 600 for the protein skimmer and i think the overflow is rated for like 400 or 500 gph so what size return pump do i need there is room in the sump for it so any help would be great thanks
wally

·
Registered
68 Posts
It depends how much hose or pipe you have to go through to get back to the display tank. You'll want to get something that is close to the gph of your overflow at the given length of hose or pipe.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
prolly only 2 and a half to 3 foot if that, i was thinking a mag 5 or should i stick with a rio since i already have one are the good brands? thanks
wally

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ouch by short out do u mean like does it shock the water or anything or just quit working. if so should i replace the one that came with my skimmer or just keep it and see. thanks
wally

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
wally43 said:
ouch by short out do u mean like does it shock the water or anything or just quit working. if so should i replace the one that came with my skimmer or just keep it and see. thanks
wally
I mean that they can put out electrical current into the water. As to the one that's on the skimmer, it's up to you. You never know, not all of them short out, but IME a lot do.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I think the one on your skimmer is fine for now, but certainly use the mag for the return if you already have it. If you have yet to order you might look into a quiet one pump. The 2200 puts out 581 gph, but uses a little less power and is probably a better quality pump.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
k thanks guys i just found a mag 5 so i'm set on the return pump now i'm looking at wavemakers i'm getting two Koralia 2's and was thinking a wavemaker might look cool anyone have any experience with any good brands? thanks
wally

·
Registered
164 Posts
I used a naturalwave w/ maxijets before for years very reliable but moved to the koralia 3's in a 90 gal. Huge difference much better flow throughout.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Call that company, because those are made for ponds and could likely corrode in your tank. They are also power hogs, used to have a small model in one of my first ponds. If your looking for flow in your tank, check out the koralias as some people have suggested, they use very little power and produce a nice flow pattern.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts