Michigan Reefers banner
1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  dan-in-gr 
#1 ·
I think i have it narrowed down to the Reef Octopus Diablo 160, SWC 150 Extreme BMK, and the SWC Extreme 160 Cone. I'm not sure of the difference between the two SWC skimmers. My mixed reef is stocked with sps and a medium bio load. The display is 65 cube and I use a 50 gallon basement sump. It has been running since May when I moved my contents of my old 55 to the new tank. The previous tank had been running 10 years.

Which skimmer would you choose and why?

I want to stay in the $300 range if I could. Any of these would be a +1 or a +2. The skimmer will be housed in the basement sump. thanks

#3 ·
There are a tone of excellent reviews and experience from other reefers using the SWC. I know if I buy another skimmer, that is what it will be. I have seen the SWC 150 in action and think it is an awesome skimmer. I dont think there is much difference between the cone 160 and cylinder 150 modles. But, if you want to spend the extra money that is on you. Other wise, essencially they are both the same skimmer.

#4 · (Edited)
Skimmer

I have been using the SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer, it is amazing. It would defintely be a +1 for your system and it would do an excellent job. Would highly recommend SWC, not only is it performing great, it is quiet as heck. If you wanna stay under $300 and have a really good skimmer, you can get the SWC 160 delivered for about $275. It is money well spent.

#5 ·
All of those are good options. The cone shape skimmers seem to work a little better then a standard skimmer of the same calibur. Cone shape I am guessing is the key. That diablo looks awesome and I really like the reef octopus stuff coralvue makes a great product at an affordable price.

#6 ·
That diablo looks awesome and I really like the reef octopus stuff coralvue makes a great product at an affordable price.
The coral vue importer is an * * * * ... :no: make sure where you are buying it can back up any issues it has. I bought a bunch of bulbs from coralvue for my store and a few of them exploded on first firing, the coral vue guy would do nothing about it. Needless to say I always give them great reviews accordingly :3195:

#7 ·
Hi, I have the BMK150 for 10 months and it works great, a real plus is if you run into a problem, Luke at Reef filtration is quick with return emails. The BMK150 is very quiet and has a ton of bubbles, it is the same motor and impellor as the 160 cone, The skimmer comes apart for very easy cleaning.

I run mine in 8.5 inches of water and it seems to be very good there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.