Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been warned not to use MH on my acrylic tank for fears of warping and uv damage to the seams causing them to split.

I would rather use MH for my sps with T5 as the actinic instead of all T5's.

Anybody here use mh for a long period of time without incident? I have a Clear vue with Euro Bracing that I don't want to alter.

Can I still use MH? What wattage will I need if so for a 24" deep tank?

Should I keep the covers off the openings when using any lighting or can I keep them on without too much loss of light?

On any lighting I use I will use a fan to blow across the top just under the lights.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
721 Posts
I think the main concern with MH on an acrylic tank is the heat warping (and eventually cracking) the bracing on the top. To avoid that, just make sure they are a good 8"+ above the bracing and provide some fans for ventilation.

UV shouldn't be a problem as single ended bulbs are UV shielded by the glass around the bulb, and double ended bulbs should have a piece of UV safe glass in between the bulb and tank/inhabitants/you!

I don't have any personal experience with MH bulbs over an acrylic tank, but this is what I've found from the research I've done.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
if your tank is euro braced i would see no problem... its the center brace where MH over acyrlic is not reccommended.. i just run mine over the openings as long as you have some good air flow you will be fine...

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Black71gp said:
if your tank is euro braced i would see no problem... its the center brace where MH over acyrlic is not reccommended.. i just run mine over the openings as long as you have some good air flow you will be fine...
O.k. I guess I should buy retro kits so I can make sure the bulbs are directly over the holes. And a huge fan over the surface to get rid of the heat.

Thanks for the replies, Guys.

P.S. That's the first time I've seen your tank thread, Jarrod. Unbelievable and outstanding are understatements. Very cool.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
thank you. Ya a retro kit would be your best bet.. if you have the bulbs over the holes and not over acrylic.. then a big fan would not really be needed other than helping lower the tank temp due to the added heat of MH

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have a 5ft acrylic tank that I use 2x250w MH over. The bulbs are not directly over the center brace and I haven't noticed any bowing or anything near cracking for about 3yrs now.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is great news for me. I was bummed that I had to use T5s only. I'm used to MH from my other tank and I always liked the look of the corals and the shimmer.

I'll try to drum up that thread and post it. I'd like your guy's opinions on it.
Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have an acrylic tank, 100gal. 14+ years now. I have used T-12's and T-5
s. It is bowing on the top, mainly where the openings are. Never had MH's on it.
My openings are not overly large and I have a tower in the center of the tank. so I would say it is braced well in the center. And is now bowing with 14years of use and not overly hot lights. The rest of the tank has no signs of wearing. Except interestly where the cords hang down on the back side there appears to be stress/cross hatch marks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Light setup

I have a 55hex, I run a 150w DE AquaMedic Fixture,14K Bulb(Through a 6x9" hole in the top of the canopy) and (2) 24" 11k ho-t5's with SLR reflectors inside the canopy off an ice cap 660. I attached an air hocky table fan blowing into the canopy...keeps the water at about 77-78 degrees. Been running for about 6 months no warping or anything that I can see.

Steve

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks for the link ToroTom. This makes me really nervous as I just bought a 90 gallon acrylic with 3/8" thick Euro bracing from Kee's about 3 weeks ago. The openings on the tank aren't overly large, but they aren't super small either. The width of the Euro Bracing is 3.25" around the entire top of the tank. The center portion of the Euro Bracing on top goes all the way across the tank at 10.25" wide except where the overflow is and there is an opening over that. The dimensions of my tank are 48"Lx18"W. Does this seem like it's going to be a problem?

I am only planning on using T-5's, but I am still worried that the tank might blow out or something after reading that link.

What if I did decide to use Metal Halides in the future, could my setup possibly fail?

Let me know what you think based on the pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
916 Posts
i run 2 250watt mh and 2 60" vho's on mine. i have them in a canapy about 10" off the water. i also run 2 little computer fans to help the cooling. no problems so far.:D

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ya you should be fine running MHs but make sure to leave a good 7+ inches between the MHs and the brace. I have my MHs about 8 inches from the water and I have a large fan at one end of the canopy, and no to mention the back of the canopy is almost completely open. With 2 175wts on my 75g the water temp usually does not fluctuate at all. Oh, I forgot to mention that my tank is glass, but if you have planty of ventilation and space between the MHs and the tank, heat souldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The manufacture of my tank is Innovative Plastics. I have not contacted them for their recommendations. I do know they have a lifetime warranty against leaks. I wasn't worried about the heat as much as I was about the chemical bond that holds the pieces of acrylic together. I am worried the UV lighting from the MH will break that bond down. I don't plan to use MH in the near future, but I figure if I ever decide to I want to know if my tank will be okay. Also, even if I never go with MH's I just want to know if you people think my the eurobracing on my tank is good enough and won't blow-out?

Again, I plan to use approxiamtely 6 Current USA T-5's for lighting. Also, do you think Current USA makes a good product? They were recommended to me by the people at Kee's Aquarium.

G

·
If you use SE bulbs the galss filters out the uv and if you use DE bulbs you are suspossed to use a glass shield to filter out the UV so I dont think that UV should be a big problem if you run the bulbs like you are suspossed to.

G

·
Baboon48 said:
Again, I plan to use approxiamtely 6 Current USA T-5's for lighting. Also, do you think Current USA makes a good product? They were recommended to me by the people at Kee's Aquarium.
I would save your money and just do a DIY, really easy and alot cheaper.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts