Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 46 gallon, undrilled FOWLR tank currently. I run a hob canister filter and a small pump for water movement. I have about 80 lbs of live rock and crushed coral substrate. Fish are 2 Black and White Occelaris, 1 Pajama Cardinal, 1 Midas Blenny, 1 Lawn Mower Blenny and 2 Chromis.

I've considered shutting the tank down, but hesitate to do this because it would leave me with a 24 gallon Aquapod for tanks. I had originally planned a much larger tank to replace this one, but with a new baby on the way and my youngest turning one on May 2, I think this might not be the best time.

My first option if I keep the tank running is to make it a seahorse tank. This would require me emptying the tank, removing all fish, trading them in or selling them and getting two seahorses with the option to add one more pair down the road. I would not need to make any changes except to get a cage for my heater to avoid burning the seahorses. It's already low water movement, I already have some macroalgaes and would plan on adding more.

My second option is to add more water movement and better lights (currently running freshwater T5s so not enough for corals) and make it a real reef, minus the drilling, sump and skimmer. This would take more on the cost side of things, but really just looking to see what you think.

I don't have much money to throw around, so cost is a factor too.

· Registered
561 Posts
I don't know how much maintenance or hands-on feeding time a seahorse tank requires. If you want to keep a tank running, I'd do which ever option allows for less time 'doing' and more time just enjoying the tank due to the two babies. Kids take up a lot of time and you don't want your tank to become an obligation instead of a hobby you enjoy.

· Registered
72 Posts
Yes I agree with Mazzy! You have to find a balance between your family and your hobbies, otherwise in most cases the hobby will suffer. I see youre just starting a new family and congrats, its a wonderful, learning experience. Dont allow the hobby to take away from your children but rather use it as a way to have more time with kids! Make it both a learning and pleasure item for them, as they'll really come to enjoy sharing it with you! They are future of our hobby and planet!
As far as your tank, it sounds to me as though you have too many fish in it! I'm not a seahorse keeper but would think your system could be made to work for them! I would ask myself: Are they capable of keeping my interest up, my kids? Am I going to be able to spend the time feeding these particulars? Am i ready for potential baby seahorses and all that they will require? Etc. etc, etc!
John

· Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I am looking to streamline a little bit. So far I've been ok with the number of fish, but I am realizing that there may be a few too many as I'm having hair algae bouncing back after getting rid of my seahare after the last outbreak. I'm just not sure who I'd get rid of, I really enjoy all of them. I could stand to get rid of the chromis, but I'd have to tear down the entire tank just to catch them, which I'd do if I went with seahorses. Maybe the pajama cardinal could go, but I don't see getting rid of him as being enough to really make that much of a difference. I gotta keep the Midas if I go reef, and I've really grown to love the little Lawn Mower Blenny, again, if I go reef. I'd get rid of all but the Midas and the pajama if I went with seahorses. The Midas may end up having to go too if that happens. My wife is voting reef though, so we'll see.

I do actually have a 7 year old too. We tried for six years before adopting and had been told by two doctors that we had something like a 5% chance of ever having any more naturally. We are absolutely blessed.

My oldest has gotten tired of fish, but I see her every once in a while showing some interest which is fun. She has shown some interest in seahorses which makes me think that might be fun. I have a smaller tank that I could at least keep some softies in, and it is already set up with PCs, so lighting wouldn't be an issue for softies. My youngest could sit there for a long time just watching them. I'm hoping my boy will also enjoy them. Anyway, all that to say, this is a hard choice to make.

· Registered
5 Posts
babies need reef tanks

:crazy_pilot: The whole reason I got into this hobby was when my third son was born. It is a bit of daily work so far to keep a reef tank, but in my opinion what better thing to have when you CAN'T leave the house and you are rocking a baby to sleep with nothing to do.....being able to watch the tank active during those times (or the sound of gentle water flow lowering my blood pressure), I would prolly :alcoholic: well not be good. I would say go for the reef tank, it will give you something to focus on when the "stuff" gets real.

· Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now it looks like it's going to be the "third option." We have decided to put the house up for sale soon, so I'm looking to shut down my tank, possibly both of my tanks to make them easier to move. Down the road I'll do it again, but for now I think it may be best, particularly because we may even be building. I just have to have the next tank be planned for in the new house plans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.