Michigan Reefers banner
758 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  canisson 
#1 ·
I've got a quick question. I have two stalks of xenia on the same rock. One is thriving/One is shriveling. Is there any specific reason for this?

It seems very strange. My water paramaters are great and I use SeaChem additives...twice a week.

I'll bet getting a digital camera soon. So I will have some pics.

Also, do any of you have a Capnella? Do you recommend feeding zooplankton, etc? Or will it get enough from just the tank?

Thanks,

Bryan

#2 ·
I have both corals. I don't think Capnella requires feeding, but any coral would benefit from additions of phyto. I could not really speculate on the xenia problem. Unless one is just slightly in a worse spot than the other, as far as light/water flow, or if there is only so much phosphate and iodine for one to survive adequately. Not really sure though as this is one coral I have never really had a problem with. I don't really grow it as a coral though, more as a means to export phosphates.

#3 ·
I can't tell you much about the xenia, but from personal experience it really does seem to be hit or miss with that coral. We've had a couple perish quickly for no apparent reason, then had many others that just thrived. I hear iodine can be a good thing for xenia. I started using Reef Plus from Seachem because it contained small amounts of iodine and it did indeed seem to help perk up my xenia. Not sure if any of your Seachem additives have iodine, if not it might be worth trying.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the info. One Xenia stalk dead. One is thriving. I have started dosing kent iodide and Seachem Reef builder. Everything going great.

#8 ·
Iodine has been debated for the last few years. I agree with rscdragon's caution. I have four types of xenia, two of which have been introduced by accident, and all are doing well without dosing iodine. I do use reef complete rarely which does contain iodine. On one occasion, I freshwater dipped some newly acquired zoos without noticing the rock had some xenia on it. Well after a couple of minutes, I pulled the rock out and reacclimated it to the saltwater only to notice the xenia's dead base. Over the next few days, more flaked off and I had to pull dead tissue off. After a week, the base started to plump up and it started to shoot out arms. I couldn't believe it but after I researched the topic, I found that xenia is mysterious. Anyway, don't give up on it as it is tough in many of our tanks. I would not even dream of adding it to my large tank as I am scared that it would take over. Good luck.
Sherm

#9 ·
I have heard this stuff is like a weed, but I have had NO luck with mine. I have had 4 different stalks now, of 2 different types. They lasted for about a month each time. Then they slowly (1 week) shriveld up, turned a blueish-grey, withered and died. I dose B-Ionic and Crystal Seas salt, feed Cyclopeeze, marine flakes and green water, and all my other corals and fish are doing FANTASTIC.

I just don't get it either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.