Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my skimmer in, was on back order for 3 weeks.

Just worried how close it is to the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Nice! Where did you get the acrylic shelf for it. I was going to make one from pvc and light defuser but would prefer something like that instead. Would be much easier to clean.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I know the feeling, living out here I have to await for delivery for everything. Sometimes the waiting is worse than the feeling that you bought something when you should have purchased something else.

·
Registered
725 Posts
That's a great skimmer and your right it is pretty close, I have a big Bubble Magus and it does take some wiggling and strength to get the cup off sometimes but only needs to lift slightly.

I think you should be concerned a little that the water depth for the skimmer is close to being right mine needs to sit in about 11 inches of water although I'm sure it could go in less.

Yeah it's too bad Amazon doesn't sell more fish related equipment themselves you gotta love that Amazon prime 2 day shipping, every time I order from somewhere else I'm like what the heck 5 days to get here....

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice! Where did you get the acrylic shelf for it. I was going to make one from pvc and light defuser but would prefer something like that instead. Would be much easier to clean.
I made that just today.. :)

I know the feeling, living out here I have to await for delivery for everything. Sometimes the waiting is worse than the feeling that you bought something when you should have purchased something else.
I am still waiting for my tank that I ordered Sept 12th. and it is driving me F-ing nuts!!

That's a great skimmer and your right it is pretty close, I have a big Bubble Magus and it does take some wiggling and strength to get the cup off sometimes but only needs to lift slightly.

I think you should be concerned a little that the water depth for the skimmer is close to being right mine needs to sit in about 11 inches of water although I'm sure it could go in less.

Yeah it's too bad Amazon doesn't sell more fish related equipment themselves you gotta love that Amazon prime 2 day shipping, every time I order from somewhere else I'm like what the heck 5 days to get here....
I placed this skimmer on a acrylic stand at the required 6".

·
Registered
937 Posts
I made that just today.. :)
where did you get the acrylic and was it easy to make. I need one that is 7x7x2 or could even be as big as 10x12x2 and still fit the skimmer section of my sump.
I have never worked with acrylic is it easy to heat and bend?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Wow that's pretty shallow, I thought pretty much all the larger internal skimmers ran in 8 to 11 inches of water, although you would have benefited a little had that been true of that model seeing how it would have gave you a little more room. I passed up a nice deal on a Vertex skimmer because it was just going to fit.

Well enjoy it, it's going to be a great skimmer and make a big difference in how good your tank does, at least imop.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Wow that's pretty shallow, I thought pretty much all the larger internal skimmers ran in 8 to 11 inches of water, although you would have benefited a little had that been true of that model seeing how it would have gave you a little more room. I passed up a nice deal on a Vertex skimmer because it was just going to fit.

Well enjoy it, it's going to be a great skimmer and make a big difference in how good your tank does, at least imop.
The water level is 11 inches I need 2 inches of lift to get the skimmer in 9 inches. a 2 inch platform.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
where did you get the acrylic and was it easy to make. I need one that is 7x7x2 or could even be as big as 10x12x2 and still fit the skimmer section of my sump.
I have never worked with acrylic is it easy to heat and bend?
I got my acrylic from Ron @ Acrylic Specialties in Madison Heights, I got all my acrylic from him for the sump in the picture (Made myself) and the acrylic I had left over made the skimmer table. as for bending, I don't know I just made simple 90d corners. Just use a router with good sharp bits for a clean nice smooth edge for bonding..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts